Dish-wash bar / laundry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I meant adding "about 10-15% of alcohol (from leftover hand sanitizer 70% ethyl alcohol" to the batch. ???
Ohh I'm sorry...
I found this: Homemade Glycerin Soap Recipe (From Scratch)
I was intrigued and wanted to try to make glycerin soap.
Hand sanitizer alcohol was what I had so I made a dish soap. It was very interesting how cleansing, it cut through fat so well, and had nice bubbles.
It was CO+Lard or Tallow. Citric acid, sugar, and the alcohol (hand sanitizer) at the end.
I searched a lot and I still to this day I do not know what the alcohol does in the soap chemistry. I just know that it is a solvent.
I found a lot of videos from Brazil that people use alcohol in their soap. It's very common there.
Even without the CO and using pure lard the alcohol soap performs really well for cleaning and laundry.
You should give it a try 😉

You should give it a try
Haha. I already have done so! That's why I asked the question. I was curious to know if you had tried making glycerin soap. Interesting about Brazil. I didn't know that. I learned something today!

Thank you for your response and the link. I bookmarked it. Here's a quote from that site:

If you’re really picky about getting translucent soap, I’d suggest reading the book, Making Transparent Soap: The Art Of Crafting, Molding, Scenting & Coloring by Catherine Failor. Her techniques are the ones that most people follow when making both translucent solid soaps and translucent liquid soaps. She has another book about Making Natural Liquid Soaps.

I agree. Failor's transparent soap was one of the first soaps I made in 2003. Ethyl alcohol, along with glycerin and simple sugar syrup, create a "polyol mix" you add to the soap after it is made to clarify it. If done correctly, you can read 12 point type through it once it hardens Tricky and expensive to make but fun. It's also known as "sugar soap". Very bubbly lather.

I also have Failor's book about Making Liquid Soap and refer to it often when troubleshooting failed batches.

Haha. I already have done so! That's why I asked the question. I was curious to know if you had tried making glycerin soap. Interesting about Brazil. I didn't know that. I learned something today!

Thank you for your response and the link. I bookmarked it. Here's a quote from that site:

I agree. Failor's transparent soap was one of the first soaps I made in 2003. Ethyl alcohol, along with glycerin and simple sugar syrup, create a "polyol mix" you add to the soap after it is made to clarify it. If done correctly, you can read 12 point type through it once it hardens Tricky and expensive to make but fun. It's also known as "sugar soap". Very bubbly lather.

I also have Failor's book about Making Liquid Soap and refer to it often when troubleshooting failed batches.
Thank you so much! 💕 polyol mix! Cool!
Now I have a name to do some research 😁 👏

Yeah if you want to see some crazy soap making and fumes flying you can search on you tube ' sabão caseiro ' it means soap made at home. I keep shaking my head and saying ohh no! a lot when I watch them 🤣
They often use a broom stick and mix the lye in a pale, they add hot water to the lye and flumes go everywhere. Crazy 🤪

if you want to see some crazy soap making and fumes flying you can search on you tube ' sabão caseiro ' it means soap made at home. I keep shaking my head and saying ohh no! a lot when I watch them
I'm all about crazy! They don't call me "Zany" for nothing! :nodding:
Thanks for the tip! I can't wait to see what shows up!

I cut it into big squares and add to a suction bow that my daughter no longer needed.
I heat up for 15-25 seconds in the microwave and press it down.
Happy soaping everyone!
Do you mean suction bowl? I assumed that when I looked at your photos, but the quote below (in a question you had for Zany, makes me wonder if you mean something else?
Hi 👋
Do you mean to use the suction bow?
😊
If you are not talking about a bowl, then what is a suction bow?

Just curious if there is something out there related to archery that is useful for soap. LOL Who knows, there may well be, right?

Do you mean suction bowl? I assumed that when I looked at your photos, but the quote below (in a question you had for Zany, makes me wonder if you mean something else?

If you are not talking about a bowl, then what is a suction bow?

Just curious if there is something out there related to archery that is useful for soap. LOL Who knows, there may well be, right?
Hi it's a baby bow. It's made to stick to the table, so kids don't make a mess.

Munchkin 49003 Three Stay Put Suction Bowl, 3-Pack https://a.co/d/dyCRXLd

Something soappy related to archery? Not sure 🤔 maybe a soap cutter 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-053331_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902-053331_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for clarifying. When I googled I did get some results showing suction bows (archery related) which is why I asked. I'm not an archer, but I have seen suction tips on arrows for kids, so thought maybe????

Back