Dish-wash bar / laundry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeloks

Reaction score
Hi, did anyone here try making a dish-wash bar ? Along with a shower soap n toothpaste, guess I have to deal with dishwashing and laundry for the rest of my life and thought of checking out if I can do something sustainable and affordable about it. Did anyone try to make a dishwashing bar ? If so, is it possible to do it through hot process soap making ? I want to crack the dishes part first before I think about laundry. I did surf this forum a bit for dishwashing, laundry n shampoo solutions. I can understand oils n lye, currently that's where my brain ends n I don't know all those chemicals. But anything that's not harmful and available on amazon, works. Thank you.

Hi, did anyone here try making a dish-wash bar ? Along with a shower soap n toothpaste, guess I have to deal with dishwashing and laundry for the rest of my life and thought of checking out if I can do something sustainable and affordable about it. Did anyone try to make a dishwashing bar ? If so, is it possible to do it through hot process soap making ? I want to crack the dishes part first before I think about laundry. I did surf this forum a bit for dishwashing, laundry n shampoo solutions. I can understand oils n lye, currently that's where my brain ends n I don't know all those chemicals. But anything that's not harmful and available on amazon, works. Thank you.
I make my own HP laundry soap.
It's 80% coconut oil, 20% olive oil.
I use 1% super fat, just for some wiggle room.
I cut it into bars after 24 hours. With the high coconut content, don't wait much longer than that. Let it cure for about a week for excess water to evaporate. I grate it with an attachment that goes on my mixer.

Hi Nona. Thank you for sharing that recipe. You grate it ? I did not get you. Should we add something after grating ? Please explain..

Thank you artemis ! I did find a few on laundry bar but not much on dish-wash bars. Still looking. Hopefully i find some.

Especially, hot process.

Oh, @Joeloks, one thing I do differently from @DeeAnna is that I do not mix the Washing Soda with the soap after grating it. I add it separately to the machine load along with the soap.

Thank you for sharing that article Nona. I think adding them seoerately makes more sense though. God bless ! Hope you all have a great week ahead.

For a dish-soap bar, I've made a 100% CO soap with 0% SF. You can HP it if you want, but there really is no need. I use a repurposed hair product container like this, so it is easier just to mix the oils and lye to a thin trace, and then pour it into the container and let it saponify on its own for a few days:

Jar.jpeg

The wide mouth and low profile sides are great for leaving enough room for swiping with a sponge or dish brush. The 100% CO is a real grease cutter, but it doesn't bubble like the liquid dish soap to which you may be accustomed. Also, it will last a lot longer if you let it cure for 4 weeks, and if you make sure to dump out any standing water that may collect inside.

For a dish-soap bar, I've made a 100% CO soap with 0% SF. You can HP it if you want, but there really is no need. I use a repurposed hair product container like this, so it is easier just to mix the oils and lye to a thin trace, and then pour it into the container and let it saponify on its own for a few days:

View attachment 62577

The wide mouth and low profile sides are great for leaving enough room for swiping with a sponge or dish brush. The 100% CO is a real grease cutter, but it doesn't bubble like the liquid dish soap to which you may be accustomed. Also, it will last a lot longer if you let it cure for 4 weeks, and if you make sure to dump out any standing water that may collect inside.

Thanks a lot for sharing that tip Alioop !! My empty cream jars found a new purpose :) I will try this out next time. I made a 100% coconut oil with HP. I am not having issue with the lather, but its quite hard. Maybe i overcooked it, as i just used very little quantity. Thanks again !

100% CO does get quite hard to the touch, even though it is very soluble in water. You can certainly HP it, but I find it easier to use from a container... and easier to get into the container if it is CP, because CP is more pourable. It also saves all the time and energy required for HP. It will become soap all by itself without cooking. :)

100% CO does get quite hard to the touch, even though it is very soluble in water. You can certainly HP it, but I find it easier to use from a container... and easier to get into the container if it is CP, because CP is more pourable. It also saves all the time and energy required for HP. It will become soap all by itself without cooking. :)

I shall cold process next time. Thank you for that quick reply :)

Sure, definitely ! I stay in a humid tropical climate. As I get my hands used to soap making I am realizing that the weather and water do have impact on curing and the way soap works. I am a big fan of bar soap for dishes. It doesn't get very mushy.

We use the PureWash system. No soap is used! And only cold water ☺️

I have looked into that, and it seems to have a devoted fan base, as well as some folks who didn't like it at all. The idea of not needing soap for laundry is wonderful, but we aren't ready to spring for it at this point. Sigh.

Hello! I'm new here. So I feel like I don't know enough to make comments.
But I have learned so much in the last few years from you guys that I wanted to thank you all for this forum 😊
I started making dish soap from 100% CO.
We had so much left over lard so I started experimenting... my last 3 batches of dish soap was made with 100% lard, I made it with -5 SF and added about 10-15% of alcohol (from leftover hand sanitizer 70% ethyl alcohol that no one liked at my work) HP and I reduced the water amount to compensate for the alcohol.
I added the alcohol almost at the end of the cooking process, keep low heat and add a small amount of alcohol at a time then cover really well until the end of the cooking process. I left on warm overnight in the slow cooker.
I get compliments on this soap and it's performance every time someone uses it. I cut it into big squares and add to a suction bow that my daughter no longer needed.
I heat up for 15-25 seconds in the microwave and press it down.
Happy soaping everyone!

Attachments

• 20220828_153340.jpg
    20220828_153340.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220828_153349.jpg
    20220828_153349.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220828_153449.jpg
    20220828_153449.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
added about 10-15% of alcohol (from leftover hand sanitizer 70% ethyl alcohol
Interesting! If you don't mind my asking, how did you come up with that idea?

did anyone here try making a dish-wash bar ?
IMO & IME, any handmade bar soap can be used for dishwashing. I learned that from washing a 16-bar batch in a sink full of water with salt added. After setting the bars aside to cure, I left the super-soapy water for washing dishes. I now do that some times for as long as 3 days. Dishes rinse squeaky clean with cold water -- NO soap residue.

I got that TIP from a Martha Stewart episode where she learned to make 100% olive oil castile soap. At the end, she washed the bar before setting it out to cure. :thumbs: ;)

NOTE: Since I make Liquid Soap, I use that in a foamer (1 part LS to 3 parts water) and a sponge to hand wash dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I then run a "rinse only" cycle.

PS: I use whatever LS I have on hand: !00% coconut oil, 50/50 Lard & PKO, Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Castile Dupe. All perform well and are gentle enough that I don't need to wear gloves... which is a good thing... for a better grip so I don't drop them! :goodbye1:

Interesting! If you don't mind my asking, how did you come up with that idea?

IMO & IME, any handmade bar soap can be used for dishwashing. I learned that from washing a 16-bar batch in a sink full of water with salt added. After setting the bars aside to cure, I left the super-soapy water for washing dishes. I now do that some times for as long as 3 days. Dishes rinse squeaky clean with cold water -- NO soap residue.

I got that TIP from a Martha Stewart episode where she learned to make 100% olive oil castile soap. At the end, she washed the bar before setting it out to cure. :thumbs: ;)

NOTE: Since I make Liquid Soap, I use that in a foamer (1 part LS to 3 parts water) and a sponge to hand wash dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I then run a "rinse only" cycle.

PS: I use whatever LS I have on hand: !00% coconut oil, 50/50 Lard & PKO, Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Castile Dupe. All perform well and are gentle enough that I don't need to wear gloves... which is a good thing... for a better grip so I don't drop them! :goodbye1:
Hi 👋
Do you mean to use the suction bow?
I don't like when the soap has water residue and gets that weird consistency. So I made liquid soap. But koh is harder to get and usually more expensive.
Then I noticed people using small dishes and I thought it was a great idea, because I no longer needed my daughter's suction bow I gave it a try, the soap stuck really well when it was softened. It's also very handy to reach for the soap and rub the sponge. Stays nice and dry as well 😊

Latest posts

Back