Dish soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a message from my realtor friend who comes through a few times a year to buy up all my soap bars for new homeowner gifts. Her sister in law is looking to buy soap from xmas gifts, so my friend gave me her info. I got pretty excited actually, because I haven't been making soap, so I needed this to kick me in the butt to get in the groove again.

I got back to her today and she went on about buying homemade "supporting local sellers".... wants dish soap. She sent me this picture of what she was looking for, and said she would buy the ramekins and brushes. I tell her that this is more like shaving soap. She's like "I know that's what it looks like, but I saw a video and it is dish soap."

She is determined that is what she wants and and wants plenty to give refills. I'm at a loss. So I told her that I would consult my soaping group and see what we can come up with.

Anybody??
A8D905D3-322F-4E62-A303-EC83049B6D8D.jpeg

Yes, I make solid dish soap that is poured into containers. I do recommend non-glass and non-ceramic containers so they don't slip and break. Here are a few links to recipes:

https://www.humblebeeandme.com/solid-dishwashing-brick/

You can also make a straight 100% coconut oil CP soap with 0%SF that is poured into the container. It doesn't bubble as much as the recipes with syndets in them, but it fits the "crunchier" market.

So I am following a 100% coconut oil, CA, lye recipe. The girl says that the video that she saw used lime juice and CA, and castor oil. In my head, I'm like, ok the lime juice is the CA, and I don't think castor oil belongs in it. Anyway. Whipping up a small batch and see how it turns out. I didn't know this was a thing...

You are so smart! :) Of course you don't need castor oil at all, nor lime juice and CA together - the CA is more than sufficient. Do you have any lemon EO, or even better d-limonene? They will add that nice lemony smell, and also add some extra grease cutting power.

Do be sure to stick with 0% SF. The dishes don't need any extra conditioning ;)

One thing to note is that 100% CO with 0%SF is pretty hard on the skin, unless you wear dish gloves. It's one reason a lot of folks use the syndet dish soaps. Their pH is lower, and they don't try out the skin quite as badly. They also bubble up a lot more easily than the 100%CO bars.

Ah I forgot the soy wax I put in it. Not sure that belongs in there either. Plus I think it makes it expensive. We will see lol. Nice easy little project. It looks ok from a batter point of view. Got a little thick by the end of pouring. Nothing too terrible.

IMG_4274.jpeg

I wouldn't go with glass unless it has a non-slip bottom, but the brush is pretty similar (not as soft as a shaving brush) to what I use to scrub my dishes. I don't use a dish...I just put my disk on one of the plastic loofah looking soap savers.

I'm not sure about soy wax for a dish soap, either. I haven't used it, so I don't know what properties it would bring that are beneficial for washing dishes, as opposed to skin.

I'd guess that soy wax would bring down the cleansing value; that would be easier on hands, but maybe not so great for cleaning greasy pans?

I'm very interested in this thread. I currently use a solid dish soap bought from Etsy and I'd love to know how to make my own. Mine is in a reused glass ramekin (from some commercial desserts) which has never come to any harm.
It doesn't seem to do my hands any harm so I'm thinking it has more than just coconut oil. Any thoughts?

I'm very interested in this thread. I currently use a solid dish soap bought from Etsy and I'd love to know how to make my own. Mine is in a reused glass ramekin (from some commercial desserts) which has never come to any harm.
It doesn't seem to do my hands any harm so I'm thinking it has more than just coconut oil. Any thoughts?
Can you find the Etsy listing or the label with the list of ingredients?

Can you find the Etsy listing or the label with the list of ingredients?
Good idea! Why didn't I think of that? 🤔. 90% coconut and 10% castor oil, with citric acid. What properties would the castor oil have, oh you infinitely knowledgeable lovely people?

Ok, I know its only 24 hours since I made the soap, so its not a true judgement on how it should behave. But by nature soap should be harsh at this young age. Which I am sure it is on the hands...I used dish gloves to use it.

But I grabbed a sponge and lathered it up and cleaned a spoon that I scooped out oil with (it was a "greasy spoon" lol). Anyway, the spoon is still super greasy. It did not even touch the oil on it.

Maybe no beeswax? (edit: soy wax, I used soy wax)

I don't know why anybody would want to use solid dish soap. It was messy, and the container just kept slipping out of my hands. Just IMO. I wouldn't make this a normal thing in my house.

Last edited:
I've never made it with soy wax and haven't had that issue. But it could be your water is harder than mine, too.

I honestly do prefer the syndet recipes myself. They definitely cut the grease better than the 100%CO bars, IMO.

I think I am going to dip out of this project. She bought the ramekins today, so maybe I can make lotion bars to go in them. I told her not to buy them until I did a test batch or two.

I don't want to sell her (or even give her for that matter) something that I personally hate. It might look what she fell in love with online, but to me it isn't what she was expecting, especially judging from that picture.

I looked up the syndet recipe, but I don't think that's the type of ingredients that she is looking for.

Ok, I know its only 24 hours since I made the soap, so its not a true judgement on how it should behave. But by nature soap should be harsh at this young age. Which I am sure it is on the hands...I used dish gloves to use it.

But I grabbed a sponge and lathered it up and cleaned a spoon that I scooped out oil with (it was a "greasy spoon" lol). Anyway, the spoon is still super greasy. It did not even touch the oil on it.

Maybe no beeswax? (edit: soy wax, I used soy wax)

I don't know why anybody would want to use solid dish soap. It was messy, and the container just kept slipping out of my hands. Just IMO. I wouldn't make this a normal thing in my house.
Isn't it interesting how people can think so differently? I really like my solid dish soap and find it very effective and versatile (it cuts grease so well I use it on my cooker top).
I came in to soap making for eco reasons to avoid additives and plastics, so I guess the dish soap fits right in with that.
A very interesting thread. Thanks all.

Some tweaks that might be worth trying:

~ Change oils to 92% CO, 8% castor - no soy wax, liquid oils, or butters. Those all make the bar harder which can make it more difficult to load up the sponge or brush with soap.

~ Use dual lye: 80/20 Naoh/KOH. This softens the soap, making it easier to load up the brush and work up a lather (people often think no cleaning is happening if they don't see bubbles). Some folks use 100% KOH, which makes a liquid soap paste. They never dilute the paste and use it as-is for washing dishes, cleaning floors, etc.

~ Stick with 0% SF, and add d-limonene for extra grease cutting and a nice scent. D-limonene is much stronger in scent and degreasing power than a citrus EO, but I've heard of others using lemon or orange EO and being very happy with it.

Latest posts

Back