Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
I want to attempt dish soap paste that is kept in a bowl at the sink. This is my recipe.

PKO, 100%
Caustic Soda(s): NaOH @ 80% and; KOH @ 20%
Lye concentration @ 35%
Caustic soda discount @ 0%. (MIght consider something like -0.5%, if useful)
Glycerine @ 5%
SG @ 1%

Since my location has a highly humid tropical rain forest climate, should I worry about bacteria being attracted to glycerine? Can the softness of a paste make this problem more likely? If I must use a preservative, what type is best (and food safe)?

I usually adjust caustic sodas to account for Citric Acid. If this is necessary for SG, how much SG neutralizes NaOH and KOH please?

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
With that amount of NaOH and PKO, I don't think that this will end up being a paste. Even with the added glycerin, it will be pretty hard - closer to a solid bar that is just a tad soft. That could still work for a dish soap, but if you want to achieve a paste consistency, I'd start at 80% KOH and 20% NaOh, and skip the glycerin.

The 0% SF or -1% SF sounds good. SG doesn't affect lye, so no adjustment needed there. Some of the dish cake recipes I've seen use a preservative, and some don't. I'd be inclined to make a small batch without it and see how it goes. Or make a big batch, but only keep a small amount by the sink at one time. The rest of the paste can live in a nice dry, dark location until you are ready to refill the container by the sink.

Would love to hear what you end up doing and how it turns out! I typically make dish paste with syndets (SCI and CapB), and I have not used a preservative in it. All good so far, but I'm typically the only one using that paste, and I make sure there is never any standing water in the container. Your conditions might be very different and could warrant a preservative.

Latest posts