Discolouring FOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
How long do your soaps take to discolour when you've used a discolouring FO?

The one I've used has between 15-20% vanillin so I'm expecting (hoping) it's going to result in a dark brown colour - is my assumption correct? If so, how long will it take?

Mine usually take 2-3 weeks to fully darken on the outside but to get the discoloration al the way through the bar takes longer. I am not certain how long as I've not cut a bar up over time to see.

Thanks - I can see a bit of discolouration on the edges now it's unmoulded. Hopefully it will darken as I hope.

At the moment though it looks a bit speckled almost as though it has sand or coffee grounds in it??

Did you hand stir the FO in? Sometimes the FO's are thick and you can get tiny little bits of it in the batter if you don't stick blend it in. If that's it, it will probably even out over the next couple weeks.

My experience is that a fresh cut can reveal virgin nondiscolored soap with a framing rind for many months after its made. I suppose that might depend on the recipe, the FO etc, but it's kinda cool to see that contrast.

With 15-20% vanillin, and assuming you used a good amount in the recipe, I think you'll get a pretty dark soap. I too think the speckles will be overcome soon with the greater change.

Yeah I hand stirred cos I didn't want it to thicken up too much on me. Let's hope it evens out over the coming weeks.

Latest posts

Back