Discolouration due to vanilla content in FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieMae

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good "rule of thumb" for discolouration due to vanilla content? For example, if the FO has less than 1% vanilla content will it typically discolour to a light tan, whereas up to 3% goes medium brown, etc.

I'm trying to determine in which instances I can skip the stabilizer (to save product) with certain FOs. I'd like to be able to make an educated guess when trying out new FOs which ones may allow me to just use mica and "hide" slight discolouration, versus when I know I will need to add stabilizer right off the bat. Especially given shipping times I'm right now I'm trying to be very frugal with my supplies (especially in test batches...which ultimately I still try to make "pretty" in hopes they work out well and I can give away to friends any family proudly).

Anyone have any tips or tricks they use?

Most vanilla stabilizers work for a short time, only. I have heard good reports on Bitter Creek vanilla stabilizer. Many suppliers state how much discoloration occurs using their FOs containing vanillin. If you want to use an FO with a high vanillin content, my suggestion is to embrace the discoloration by using micas or other colorants that result in dark colors.

There is no specific amount that will gage your stage of discoloration as there are other things that can cause discoloration I found. I use the Vanilla Stabilizer from Bitter Creek if I want to keep the discoloration out for some time. I've got a soap that's 2 years old that I used it in and it just started discoloring a couple months ago or so. It is an added expense. Most times I embrace the discoloration.

Adding TD or other color to non-fragrance portions of the batch will work for some. I found if the fragrance has a lot of Vanilla it will eventually take over that portion too sometimes.

I also use vanilla stabilizer from Bitter Creek, and have had good luck with it. I think the best thing you can do is read reviews and soap behavior notes given by the supplier for the FOs before you buy them. For the most part, I don't buy very many that discolor to a dark brown.

Thanks all! Usually I follow what the supplier (or reviews) say but I got two new sample sizes in yesterday that only state the vanilla % on the site/bottle and none of the reviews speak to discolouration yet. So I was hoping for some trick while I test them out. They are both under 2% so I think I will just try to make the best of it (without stabilizer) for my test batches and see how that goes!

I sell and use a lot of fo's that discolor, and have really not had many if any bleed into the light portions. I separate off what I want to color usually leaving some not colored. No fo is added to the colored portions. Add in the fo to the balance of the batter. Mica colors such as bright oranges, reds, turquoise, purple, and greens will come through the dark discoloring soap.

My soap formulas are not inexpensive to make so I do not go to the extra expense of adding in VS. I did finally try some last year but did not like the feel of my soap, even though it did keep it lighter than usual by several shades. My soap was just not as hard as normal, so after many years of not using it why start now.

If you fo states under 2% it most likely means there is vanilla so it will discolor. Are there any reviews for the fo? Possibly someone here has used the fo or there is a listing on the fragrance review DeeAnna created. I do not go there often but I believe this is the one.
SMF Fragrance Oil Review

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back