Disaster.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deda

Reaction score
Yesterday I made 4 batches, 3 turned out normal. One was the worst soaping disaster in my life.

It was one I've made at least 5 times in the last 4 months. I called it Confused, it's black with colored shreds stirred in at trace, scented with lavender and lemon EO's.

When I unmolded it around 10 pm to cut it and get it drying I wasn't wearing gloves. I wish I was - my hands felt like mummy hands. I kept reaching for lotion all night. They aren't burned, just very dry. There was a big ole pocket of leaky lye on the bottom. The pocket spread across 75% of the bottom. My hands were covered in Lye water :twisted: . The soap is a waste, not even going to think about rebatch, into the trash!

I just moved into my new soap room, I may have been a little over exuberant in my attempts yesterday, moving too fast, I really think I didn't blend enough. Black soap is hard enough to see trace, but I really need some directed light instead of the overhead lights already in the room.

Guess this means another trip to Ikea. I will suffer through.

Go back, read EVERY WORD at Miller Soap, then read it all again.

There will be a quiz.

sound familiar :lol:

phillysoaps said:

There will be a quiz.

Strike. Again. Watch yourself, Missy.

I've been doing this for 8 years. You?

Deda said:
phillysoaps said:

There will be a quiz.

Strike. Again. Watch yourself, Missy.

I've been doing this for 8 years. You?

2 months...well how did we make similiar mistakes?

Philly, we all make mistakes. I knew the cause of my mistake.

And I didn't sell my mistakes to anyone. You?

Deda said:
Philly, we all make mistakes. I knew the cause of my mistake.

And I didn't sell my mistakes to anyone. You?

nope, me neither, my mistakes are in the basement window.

I am sorry that your soap, didn't turn out Deda, and I hope that your hands have recovered, Did you throw out your soap? Or did you dare to rebatch! :lol: Me thinks that a good light will be top of your shopping list though eh? :D

vivcarm said:
I am sorry that your soap, didn't turn out Deda, and I hope that your hands have recovered, Did you throw out your soap? Or did you dare to rebatch! :lol: Me thinks that a good light will be top of your shopping list though eh? :D

your right, I guess the soap faeries were at both our houses causing havoc :D

Nah, I pitched it. I make about a dozen batches in an average week. A toss every once in a while is ok with me. I know what went wrong, didn't mix enough - better lighting in my new soap kitchen will cure that.

The last major issue I had was with Lemon Sugar FO and Super Seize. That was fixed by changing suppliers, I think it was Smelli - she directed me to Tony's Lemon Sugar, no more Seizing soap!

I always wear glove and eye protection when I soap, but not when I cut and trim. I mostly soap in the AM and get my stuff on the racks in the evening. Suppose I will be wearing gloves to cut and trim from now on.

Thanks for sharing your failures along w/ your successes. It reminds us all we never stop growing. Even a seasoned soaper has their bad batches, it's having the experience & knowledge base to recognize the problem & learn from it that is important.

I have been visited by the soap fairies too. Little devils they are. LOL I did an all olive oil soap and got partial gel and lost the ends to color difference....so this next batch I used warmed oven and Bam! Looks like dark honey and was supposed to be yellow with brown swirls. Go away soap fairies! LOL

Val

Sorry that happened Deda. Frustrating as heck . I sure hope your hands are okay. I have a new soaping room with a flourescent light right over the work table , what a difference it makes to have good light. I soaped in a dungeon before. :D

Kitn

Deb,

Ouchies! That must have stung quite a bit. Hope the hands are better. Thanks for posting though, I don't usually wear gloves when I cut my soap but now I think I will. :wink:

Sibi

Deda, that stinks!! I hate when that happens; oh well, lesson learned; take care of those hands lady!!!

Deda

Sorry about your hands too. Soap fairy talk made me forget what this thread was about. Please forgive me.

Sending good thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.

Val

That's a shame! Just goes to show no matter how long you've been making soap, you need to respect lye and follow all precautions. :!:

Thanks Ladies, I think my hands are going to be OK. I appreciate the well wishes. I tell you I was ready to go to the emergency room about 3 AM. I wore cotton gloves around the house today and when I was driving, sorta like wearing cotton socks to bed for dry heels.

I found a new clamp light, it's very bright! My soaping should be a might safer now!

Side note: The lye water didn't TOUCH my manicure at all, not even the slightest scratch.

LOL @ the manicure ... that rocks !! Do you have one of those hot wax things for your hands and feet? Maybe that would help??

beachgurl said:
Do you have one of those hot wax things for your hands and feet? Maybe that would help??

I did, but I donated it to Salvation Army a few months ago. I kept buying nice scented paraffin wax and when I go to use it all the wax was gone. **** skateboarders were using it to wax the ledges and rails out on the skateboard park. I should head up to the SA and see if I can find one (mine)!

Hey Deda, just found this thread now....wow and ouch!!! You poor thing....for that to happen when you absolutely least expect it to, sucks girl!

Lotion may not be strong enough for you atm....how are your hands now? Perhaps when you go to bed next, first rub your favourite raw butter or rich soaping oil into them and pop your cotton gloves back on....?

Keep well - Tanya :)

Back