DISAPPOINTED

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withoutworry

Reaction score
MY SOAP MAKING TODAY CAME OUT AWFUL. I THINK I MAY HAVE OVER HEATED IT, PLUS I NEVER REALLY GOT A TRACE. I USED A HAND BEATER, BUT I'M GOING TO GET THE STICK MIXER. THE SOAP WON'T MOLD. IT IS FALLING APART ACTUALLY, BUT IT IS NICE, I WASHED MY HANDS WITH IT. DO I HAVE TO THROW THE WHOLE BATCH AWAY, WHAT SHOULD I DO? THANKS

Wait... Are you trying to make CP soap? And you washed your hands with it immediately?
Thats a no no! The lye is still active, you could have hurt yourself very badly...

Please post your recipe so we can help you with it.

I MIXED THE LYE/DISTILLED WATER MIXTURE IN WITH THE OLIVE OIL IN MY SLOW COOKER. I HAVE BEEN MIXING IT FOR A HALF AN HOUR AND IT IS STILL NOT THICK LIKE PUDDING (NOT MUCH TRACE). SHOULD I KEEP MIXING OR START LETTING IT COOK? THANKS

Please give me your measurements.

Also its Olive Oil, it will take a long time to trace! Your making castile soap. Overtime it will harden.. some months.
You should do more research on soapmaking, and find some recipes to try first.

I made a spanish castile soap in my crocker pot. I read the entire book and followed directions exactly. The only thing I did differently was I used an electric beater instead of a stick mixer. The recipe was as follows... 54 oz olive oil, 16 oz distilled water, 7 oz lye and 1 oz of FO. I mixed the lye and water, placed the olive oil in the crock pot of low, then add the water-lye solution. I was suppose to mix four 5 minutes or until trace (pudding like thickness). I beat the mixture for 30 minutes and still didn't get a full trace so I stopped and cooked it for an hour like the recipe said. The soap did what the pictures showed and said, but it seems dried out and won't mold. What can I do to fix it so I don't waste all the material. The recipe also stated that because it was made in a slow cooker that is safe to touch, but to let it dry out for a few weeks to a few months because it is made of olive oil. I need to take a class or something, I'm very frustrated, what should I do. I am taking the right precautions regarding the lye. Thanks again.

tangled_panda said:
Oh so you did HP, that is safe to use right away since it saponifies when you cook it. You could always try rebatching it.
Your exactly right. Could you tell me how to rebatch it?

Latest posts

Back