Disappointed in my soap (Experimenting with color; struggling with discoloration)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my usual soap recipe and used BB Blooms and Berries fo and purple and green micas.
This is my 2nd time working with micas, and my first with this particular fo. This was my first attempt at an in the pot swirl.
For my first mica soaping I mixed the micas with a little almond oil before adding them to my soap; this time I dumped them straight in. I'm wondering if that is what caused what look to be flecks in my soap. Maybe it wasn't fully incorporated? I noticed vanillin listed on the fo. I added it to the purple, thinking that it wouldn't affect it that much, maybe just deepening the color; versus adding it to the green or the base soap.
This looked pretty when I poured it, but after cutting, its ashy and the purple went dark and ugly. The green softened a bit in color, but stayed relatively bright. I'm super disappointed in the purple. :(
And where the heck did that bright yellow come from?
So... I ordered some titanium dioxide, do you think adding it to the base and making it white would help future batches of this soap? Where do you think the bright yellow came from? Is the only hope to purchase the vanillin inhibiting stuff? I hate to buy one more thing, when I only soap for our family's use. But darn it, my soap smells great and I want it to be pretty too. lol :)

Any helpful hints you all can offer are appreciated.

Janelle
View attachment 35406View attachment 35407
I actually think it is very pretty

Your soap is beautiful and your users and recipients will love it! I do not use FO, just EOs. I get great purple color with Brambleberry orchid mica and tons of compliments. I also love TD but learned some things along the way to prevent glycerin rivers. I have my lye to (lye plus water) ratio at 31.5% and soap at below 100 degrees F. I just dump mica right into the batter and hand stir for 4 minutes and the stick blend briefly and have never had clumping. I like to order Brambleberry sampler mica packs to try them out before committing to larger quantities.

I noticed vanillin listed on the fo. I added it to the purple, thinking that it wouldn't affect it that much, maybe just deepening the color; versus adding it to the green or the base soap.
Is the bright yellow in the portion that had the FO added to it or the base soap? The way that I read you initial post is that you only added the FO to the purple colored soap. So if the base soap (I'm assuming with no colorant added) is yellow, it isn't from the FO, it must be from the soap itself. Or... well... I guess it could be from the FO if it is "bleeding" into the unfragranced soap portions. I see this sometimes with heavy vanillan FO's, the unfragranced portion will eventually turn brown too. I think I talked myself out of saying "I don't think it's the FO making the soap yellow." I'm going to leave this up, as someone may have some info to contribute that I may learn from :D

I actually think it is very pretty
Thank you :)

Janelle

Your soap is beautiful and your users and recipients will love it! I do not use FO, just EOs. I get great purple color with Brambleberry orchid mica and tons of compliments. I also love TD but learned some things along the way to prevent glycerin rivers. I have my lye to (lye plus water) ratio at 31.5% and soap at below 100 degrees F. I just dump mica right into the batter and hand stir for 4 minutes and the stick blend briefly and have never had clumping. I like to order Brambleberry sampler mica packs to try them out before committing to larger quantities.

Thank you :) I haven't tried EO because it seems like they are more costly and I've heard their scents fade; I might have to branch out and try them though. I've only been soaping for 2 years, so I have plenty to learn, and foresee lots of experimenting ahead. :) I'll have to try soaping at a lower temp. I've never tried room temp soaping, but that might be in my future.

Janelle

Is the bright yellow in the portion that had the FO added to it or the base soap? The way that I read you initial post is that you only added the FO to the purple colored soap. So if the base soap (I'm assuming with no colorant added) is yellow, it isn't from the FO, it must be from the soap itself. Or... well... I guess it could be from the FO if it is "bleeding" into the unfragranced soap portions. I see this sometimes with heavy vanillan FO's, the unfragranced portion will eventually turn brown too. I think I talked myself out of saying "I don't think it's the FO making the soap yellow." I'm going to leave this up, as someone may have some info to contribute that I may learn from :D
I'm not sure. My base soap is naturally more of a cream than a white. (attached pic is of one of my soaps with no colorant added and a fo that does not cause discoloration) I poured the colors into the base (attempting an in the pot swirl) then poured into the loaf mold. (I gave it one quick stir around and up through the middle before the pour)

Janelle

Attachments

• white tea ginger goats milk soap.jpg
    white tea ginger goats milk soap.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have a few fo's that turn bright yellow when they are added to the batter. It will fade but playing with color in yellow batter can cause issues even though the yellow does not necessarily stay

@JanelleTrebuna told ya it looks great ;)

Sorry - but is this HP?
I am tired and have been fighting with sealers, moulds, e mails, cameras all day
It's CP.. You should not have problems with FOs discoloring in HP coz you add the fragrance when it's already cooked :)

I need someone to confirm if this holds true for ALL FOs including one's with vanillin?

Edited to correct major typo

Last edited:
Sorry - but is this HP?
I am tired and have been fighting with sealers, moulds, e mails, cameras all day
No, its CP. I haven't braved the world of HP yet ;)

Janelle

This soap is beautiful! I love the colours, including the yellow. But I get that you are disappointed - there's nothing more annoying than expecting one thing but getting another.
Thank you. I'm encouraged by all the sweet comments. :)

Janelle

I like it! I looks like Mardi Gras!!
Thank you :)
I just need to shower with that and then grab a King Cake for bfast and I'll be set to celebrate!
lol! I didn't originally notice the colors were those of Mardi Gras.

Janelle

Last edited by a moderator:
No, its CP. I haven't braved the world of HP yet ;)

Janelle
I just realized that I meant CP but typed in HP uggh... I even explained that you won't get FO problems if you HP sheesh *smacks forehead*

I, on the other hand, am not brave enough to face the issues you guys are having with CP :p

I just realized that I meant CP but typed in HP uggh... I even explained that you won't get FO problems if you HP sheesh *smacks forehead*

I, on the other hand, am not brave enough to face the issues you guys are having with CP :p
Lol. No worries. I knew what you were talking about. I was just clarifying ;)

I actually have a few fo's that turn bright yellow when they are added to the batter. It will fade but playing with color in yellow batter can cause issues even though the yellow does not necessarily stay

Yes, I have a few of those FO's too (BCN Lemongrass, I'm looking at you). My comment was more that if the OP didn't add the FO to the part of the batter that was yellow, then it wasn't the FO causing the discoloration. The way I read the OP's original post was that she only added FO to the purple portion and not the other portions. Would the FO in the purple portion bleed the yellow discoloration into the other colors after going into the mold?

Yes, I have a few of those FO's too (BCN Lemongrass, I'm looking at you). My comment was more that if the OP didn't add the FO to the part of the batter that was yellow, then it wasn't the FO causing the discoloration. The way I read the OP's original post was that she only added FO to the purple portion and not the other portions. Would the FO in the purple portion bleed the yellow discoloration into the other colors after going into the mold?
You are correct. I only added the fragrance oil to the Purple. I did do an in the pot swirl; before pouring, would this have moved the fo around? Or are fo's stable, sticking only to the batch of soap to which they are added?

Janelle

Latest posts

Back