Disappearing EO!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessK

Reaction score
Hi,

I used sweet orange essential oil in some homemade melt and pour soap base recently, at 1tsp per lb. It smelt GREAT on the finished soap, but has faded after literally two hand washes.

Do I need to use more, or use a different oil?

I would prefer to use an EO rather than FO, but all suggestions gratefully received.

Citrus oils are famous for fading. Try using a little litsea cubeba or vetiver essentail oils with your citrus oils. Or you can use 15X citrus oils which don't fade as bad.

Hi,

I used sweet orange essential oil in some homemade melt and pour soap base recently, at 1tsp per lb. It smelt GREAT on the finished soap, but has faded after literally two hand washes.

Do I need to use more, or use a different oil?

I would prefer to use an EO rather than FO, but all suggestions gratefully received.

+1 to LSG. You'll really want to make blends when dealing with citrus. I dunno why it works, but when I make blends the citrus will stay around. Whenever I work with orange, lemon, lime, tangerine I will always blend it with something that has staying power. Litsea and Lemongrass are great citrusy scents that help bind the weaker ones. Many non-citrus scents really help, but then you may detract from the fragrance if you are trying to make a light citrus smell.

Whoops... mine is 10x Orange from BB. It's holding up very well. I have a orange/clove blend from last August that's still very fragrant and a single note one from December that's still pretty strong.

Latest posts

Back