Disable the Auto-Off for MyWeigh KD8000 and KD7000 Scales

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I learned today how to disable the auto-off feature on my KD7000 scale.

I suppose the procedure is in my owner's manual, but heckifiknow where the manual is! :) Holly's slide show is much better --

See: http://www.makesauerkraut.com/fermenting-supplies/#scales

Scroll down a bit and look for this title "How to Disable the Auto-Off Feature on the MyWeigh KD8000 Digital Scale." Click the green arrows < and > on either side of the picture to move through the slide show.

The scale will go through batteries faster with the auto-off disabled, but it will be wonderful to not worry about my scale shutting off in the middle of a series of weighings.

The KD8000 scale has a percentage mode that the KD7000 does not. If you struggle with how to use this function, check out Holly's slide show titled "How to Use the MyWeigh KD8000 Digital Scale to Calculate 2% Salt." It's right below her "Disable the Auto-off" slide show.

Last edited:
I learned today how to disable the auto-off feature on my KD7000 scale.

I suppose the procedure is in my owner's manual, but heckifiknow where the manual is! :) Holly's slide show is much better --

See: http://www.makesauerkraut.com/fermenting-supplies/

Scroll down about 2/3 down the page and look for this title "How to Disable the Auto-Off Feature on the MyWeigh KD8000 Digital Scale." Click the green arrows < and > on either side of the picture to move through the slide show.

The scale will go through batteries faster with the auto-off disabled, but it will be wonderful to not worry about my scale shutting off in the middle of a series of weighings.

The KD8000 scale has a percentage mode that the KD7000 does not. If you struggle with how to use this function, check out Holly's slide show titled "How to Use the MyWeigh KD8000 Digital Scale to Calculate 2% Salt." It's right below her "Disable the Auto-off" slide show.

And thanks from me too 'cause I know where my manual is, but never bothered to look it up!

Gasp! How long have you folks been living with your KD scale without the joy of using this most wondrously incredible feature? The ability to disable that darned infernal automatic turn-off feature was its biggest selling point for me when I bought my KD 7000 a few years ago, and as sure as soap is made with lye by golly, that was the very first thing I gleefully did with a merry skip in my step and jubilant song in my heart the very second I unpacked it. Now you need to buy the adapter (I saved myself a lot of self flagellation for sure by buying it when I bought my scale).

IrishLass :)

Gasp! How long have you folks been living with your KD scale without the joy of using this most wondrously incredible feature? The ability to disable that darned infernal automatic turn-off feature was its biggest selling point for me when I bought my KD 7000 a few years ago, and as sure as soap is made with lye by golly, that was the very first thing I gleefully did with a merry skip in my step and jubilant song in my heart the very second I unpacked it. Now you need to buy the adapter (I saved myself a lot of self flagellation for sure by buying it when I bought my scale).

IrishLass :)

:grin: Only about 18 months.

Adapter? Still have that on my list of things to do!

I have had the KD7000 for about 5 years, but I don't use it for soaping since I got a retired laboratory scale a year or two ago. I use the KD7000 mostly for weighing food and normally don't have trouble with the auto-shutoff when weighing flour and the like. This summer, I started to make fermented sauerkraut and have run into problems with the scale shutting off during the longer process of shredding and weighing my shredded cabbage. I'd totally forgotten about changing the auto-shutoff setting and seeing the slideshow today on Holly's site was really helpful.

I tried enabling my auto shut off as soon as I got my scale, but I could not get it to work. The instructions looked easy enough but maybe I did something wrong. I had bought the adapter at the same time as the scale, and there's a plug in right next to where I use the scale, so I didn't fidgit too long with it. But now you've all got me thinking I should try again, and prove I'm an idiot either for not figuring it out the first time, or not returning a defective scale when I had the chance :think:

I have the same scale but the instructions didn't indicate that you need to start with it powered off.

If you don't get both the ON and HOLD buttons pressed down at exactly the same time, the scale will start normally rather than switch into the programming mode. If that happens, just turn the scale back off and try again. I fumble-fingered it a couple of times.

Oh, and if you normally use the adapter, it's possible that you may need to do this change when running on batteries. I am not sure about that, but if you can't get the setting to change when the scale is operating with the adapter, try it when running on batteries only and see if that works better.

Last edited:
I use the adapter for mine. I found it you press the hold then press the ON it goes to the program mode with any issues.

S'funny how many of us "dum-dums" there are about this auto shutoff thing. Nice to know I'm not alone! :cool:

I should mention that my KD7000 still energy efficient even after I disabled the auto shut-off. I may have changed batteries once in the 3 years since I first started this thread.

I try my darndest to turn it off when I'm not actively using it, but it might have to stay on for up to 15 minutes at a time when I'm in the middle of a weighing project. I use it a LOT in the kitchen and for soap making.

Last edited:
Back