Dirty Dog Soap Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommycarlson

Reaction score
This soap was made in a Milky Way mold. I did not allow it to gel, not that it would of anyway, but I did not try because I didn't want to warp the mold. I brushed the inside of the molds with mineral oil and added 1 t PPO of SL to my batch. Can anyone diagnose the issue? The first picture is of the soap the day after unmolding, the second picture is of the soap 3 days later.

IMG_20170201_055658373.jpg

IMG_20170204_124812574_HDR.jpg

It's nice to see ash augmenting the art. For whatever reason it's concentrated on the raised parts, which increases the contrast from the main part of the bar. Chemistry was with you this time MC :)

Assuming this a dog shampoo bar, I'd just like to check that you balanced it right for a pooch. I don't really know what it takes for a good dog bar (other than low coconut oil), but I do know a few things that aren't good. Do you mind posting your recipe including fragrance type and percentage, along with other additives? I am not poised to pounce on you (or steal your recipe), I just want to assist your goal of gently cleansing your dog. Others here probably know more than I do and I'm sure they want to help as well. Thanks for considering my direct request.

Yep, looks like ash to me. I have had issues with my soaps done in individual molds getting ash pretty badly. I've learned to leave them in the mold for a few days until complete saponification is done. I think when it's still going though saponification even though they are hard enough to release from the mold they get ash.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the input, that was what I suspected, ash. Shunt, I will know next time to leave them in the mold longer. I was worried I would not be able to get them out so I removed them as soon as I could.

I'm not concerned about anyone stealing my recipe, I don't have a problem posting it. Please do not pounce on me! My sister in law requested this shampoo bar, she has 4 dogs and after I told her that people say the PH is too high, she said she doesn't wash her dogs enough to be concerned. I don't even have a dog LOL. So please, be kind, I am only making this because she asked me too, believe me, I already "warned" her.

coconut oil 30%
castor oil 20%
olive oil 20%
lard 20%
jojoba 10%

added:
1 oz honey
.25 oz each lemon, basil, orange, eucalyptus EO's

It really does not smell good, I had hoped the lemon and orange would balance out the basil and eucalyptus but no such luck. If there is a better balanced bar for this I would appreciate the input!

that' a beautiful soap, and right ph is too high, Dogs skin will get very irritated and the vet bill will be huge. Skin infections in dogs are very difficult to treat........

Can you make her a liquid doggie soap instead? But even liquid lye soap is still going to have a higher pH than is suggested by veterinarians for dogs, so I'm not sure you'd get a low enough pH.

You might want to share this article with your SIL.

Maybe you could get some help from swiftcraftymonkey. She has a lot of information on her website about formulating products. I didn't find any about dog shampoo, but here is a blogpost about adjusting pH in cosmetics. If yo become a subscriber you can submit a product and she might choose it to try to duplicate.

Oh, one other link for you. It's a really long video of a soaper doing some pH lower experimentation with her liquid soap. I've watched it a couple of times, but it's been awhile. And I never went to the trouble she has to try and get her results. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw8AGOPxaI4"]video[/ame]

Last edited:
I made a shampoo for dog using very gentle surfacants, it is expensive though, the ph is 6 perfect for dogs, but it is not soap ;)) good luck mommycarison with dog shampoo. You can make syndet bar which is so easy to use on dogs.

Back