Dipped candle surface questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam4321

Reaction score
Heya! So im a first timer starting to make candles, im currently trying to make pillar candles from paraffin wax. I've used moulds with a paraffin (10% stearin) wax blend, and eventually I'll be looking to dip and carve with a softer paraffin on top.
Now, my candles are currently coming out of the moulds with surface imperfections, i think they're called jump lines? They're thin lines of wax that are staying in the moulds and making the surface of the candle dull. The candle is nice and smooth and shiny where it's come away clean.

My question is, is there a way to avoid these? And does it really matter given that i plan to dip them - will the coating layers hide it and smooth it out?

Sounds like you are pouring too cool. Pour a bit hotter and it should come clean away from the mold.

Second question - will the overdip cover/conceal the lines?
It will depend on how many layers you dip, how deep you carve, and the colors you use.

No need in dipping in softer wax, you carve when the wax is warm. If not, it will crack and break off. In your dipping vats, the color you use matters too. You want to use pigments and not normal colorants, because the liquid candle colors can bleed and fade. Also use microcyrstaline as and additive to help the layers adhere to each other so they won't separate when carving.

I love carving. Still have my vats, but haven't carved in about 7-8 years.

Jump lines are caused when the wax you are pouring is cooler then the vessel that you are pouring into. While hot wax can heat up the mold enough after a pour I find the most simple thing to do is to heat up your mold right before you pour your wax. Not hot. Just warm. A heat gun or blow dryer is helpful for this. But like jcandleattic says - does it really matter if you are covering it up ;)

Back