Dimethicone replacement help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servant4Christ

Reaction score
Has anyone used LuxGlide (LexFeel) 350, hemisqualane, and/or broccoli seed oil to replace dimethicone in shampoo and conditioner bars?
I initially intended to use LuxGlide 350 but it isn't the easiest to find and I'm not sure if I'll be able to source it in the future and I absolutely hate finding what works and then not be able to get that ingredient again in the future.
Broccoli seed oil is apparently known for smelling pungent and since I don't scent anything (as of yet), I'd like to avoid strong smelling ingredients if possible or friends might not want to be testers. Lol.
I was looking at hemisqualane (while researching ingredients for a facial moisturizer recipe) and wondering if it would make a good sub and if anyone has tried it as it's not one of the listed alternatives in this recipe.

Your post reminded me that I hadn't actually smelled my broccoli seed oil yet. :) I just opened the bottle and took a few big whiffs. It had a slight smell that I found neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It was so light that I doubt it would affect the overall smell of my conditioner bar, especially since it is used at only 2% in the DIY B&B recipe.

Mine was purchased from Lotion Crafter, and this is what they have to say about it:

Broccoli Seed Oil can occasionally smell strongly of broccoli, but will be toned down when added to your formulation. As it is a natural product, scent can vary from batch to batch.

Regarding hemisqualane, I've never used it, but here's what Susan at SwiftCraftyMonkey has to say about it:

It’s considered a good dimethicone replacement as it has that silky, non-greasy feeling, so you can use it in lotions, make-up products, and hair care products. In hair care products, it makes for easier wet and dry combing, and offers protection from heat treatments, like straightening or blow drying. And it helps seal the cuticle to reduce frizz and increase shine. Use it anywhere you can use oils, like anti-frizz sprays, conditioners, and hair oils.

I'm little late, but another good substitute is Saboderm CV / Coco caprylate/ coco caprate, it's sold under several different names but it all works the same. It's the one I've been using for years in basically all my creams, lotions, shampoos and conditioners. It's oil soluble so I even dump it in the body butters and other anhydrous stuff I do. =D

Usage rate is 2-25%, I usually put 2-4% in anything I do.

Latest posts

Back