Difficulty with layering soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aihrat

Gently gently
Reaction score
Could anyone help me with some tips on layering soaps please?

My problem is that I've never done it successfully - either the layers break when I pour them because my trace is too thin, or the batch reaches such thick trace during pouring that I have to glop it in the mould. I do pour over my spatula and it helps to an extent but when the poured soap is still runny it feels like there's not much I can do.

I've also had the curious issue of the soap in the jug tracing more quickly than the soap in the mould. If I wait for the batter to thicken the mould, it always seems to get much thicker in the jug afterwards. I assume this is because I'm using silicone moulds and the small amount of soap disperses heat a lot faster than the soap in the jug, but it's still really frustrating.

you can either make separate batches for each layer, that way giving the first layer time to thicken making it easier for the soap not to break through, or wait to add your fo to each color until the first layer has thickened enough. I normally make separate layers.

You can purchase loaf molds with plastic dividers. Make your soap, divide it into parts, color each part and pour into the divided sections. Warning, you have to pour a portion of each color at a time in order to keep the dividers even. After you have completed the pouring, gently pull out the dividers.

Separate batches for each layer is the way to go if you are after aesthetic. It takes more work but so worth it in the end! The idea is that the layer would achieve a thick(er) trace by the time you mix and pour the next layer. There are couple youtube videos available on this technique and the layers come out really stunning.

This is an example of a soap I made with separate batches for each layer:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-april-2017-challenge-stripes.63132/page-6
This batch needed to be done this way as it was mostly soft oils (slow recipe) and without added fragrance (note: the soaps were poured with the thinnest layers on top).

... I've also had the curious issue of the soap in the jug tracing more quickly than the soap in the mould. If I wait for the batter to thicken the mould, it always seems to get much thicker in the jug afterwards. I assume this is because I'm using silicone moulds and the small amount of soap disperses heat a lot faster than the soap in the jug, but it's still really frustrating.

If you would like to try this again, you could make your batch and separate it out into individual cups. This should alleviate "heat sink" effect of having all of the batter in the one jug.

Adding an accelerating FO was used by White Milk Soap and Candles to make a 20 layer soap - the separate cups had the FO added just before pouring into the mold - by the time the next colour/FO cup was mixed, the layer in the mold had thickened up from the accelerating FO.
Youtube video: hkAo6gvIxTA

When I want to layer a batch I simply use a FO that I know accelerates.
Split the batter unscented, add colors.
Add fragrance to the layer I'm pouring. Pour it. Wait a few seconds...
Repeat for the next layer and so on.
It's really just about the timing to get each layer on soon but not too soon and knowing how quickly a given FO will speed things up.
Most florals will do the trick for me.

If I'm feeling too lazy to make separate layers for soap (which I agree gets the best results), I will use the freezer. I take the entire batch to emulsion, pour one layer, put it into the freezer for about 5-10 minutes, and repeat. My usual recipe is a very slow-to-trace one and the waiting soap batter stays runny enough for this to work. However, last time I did things this way I ran into a partial gel issue, even after I had CPOPed it in a 170F oven for just a couple minutes and then turned the oven off, letting it sit inside overnight. It was especially peculiar to me, as I soaped using 38% lye concentration, but that is just an aside.

Another thing that is handy when using the freezer is to put your mold on some sort of small (lye safe) tray that you can use to carry the mold to the freezer and place the entire thing inside. I find it helps keep the soap more level in the mold and less sloshy up the sides.

Another thing that is handy when using the freezer is to put your mold on some sort of small (lye safe) tray that you can use to carry the mold to the freezer and place the entire thing inside. I find it helps keep the soap more level in the mold and less sloshy up the sides.
This is a good solution if you soap in the kitchen or have a freezer handy.
For me that would mean walking up 2 flights of stairs and out into the garage to get it into a freezer with enough room for me to fit my mold into.

I usually make separate layers as separate batches, unless my batch is really small. If I can't make it as separate batches, then I will do one batch to emulsion, pour my first layer and cover the mold with a box and a towel while I'm working with the second layer. I try to let it sit covered for at least 5 minutes, but sometimes my soap has other ideas. Covering it helps the heat get started so it sets up a bit quicker. Sometimes I'll set it on a heat pad if the dungeon is cold.

Back