Difficulty with cutting loaf

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bekabat

Reaction score
Hi all

My individual bars of Goat's Milk soap look lovely but I'm struggling to get a nice cut with the loaf mould. I bought the cutter with the metal blade that goes through but I'm getting a bit of breakage and also there is a little bit of play in the gaps so it's not cutting completely straight.
I was thinking that the cheese cutter might have been a good option but not sure if the wire would remain taut if the soap is too hard. I've watched so many YouTube videos and it always looks so easy and soft... I feel I'm doing something wrong.
FYI I am putting my mould into a fridge for 24 hours, then unmoulding it and trying to cut it then.

Hi all

My individual bars of Goat's Milk soap look lovely but I'm struggling to get a nice cut with the loaf mould. I bought the cutter with the metal blade that goes through but I'm getting a bit of breakage and also there is a little bit of play in the gaps so it's not cutting completely straight.
I was thinking that the cheese cutter might have been a good option but not sure if the wire would remain taut if the soap is too hard. I've watched so many YouTube videos and it always looks so easy and soft... I feel I'm doing something wrong.
FYI I am putting my mould into a fridge for 24 hours, then unmoulding it and trying to cut it then.
A lot of times, your recipe, temps and procedure will matter. Lots of water plus soft oils for example will take longer to unmold n cut compared to 100% coconut oil soap and/or less water.

Maybe it's just too long in the fridge?

It should be around the consistency of a block of cheese... I'm using the same cutter as you are, and I will agree that it's hard to cut em straight lol but it is possible to do so without anything breaking.

A lot of times, your recipe, temps and procedure will matter. Lots of water plus soft oils for example will take longer to unmold n cut compared to 100% coconut oil soap and/or less water.

Maybe it's just too long in the fridge?

It should be around the consistency of a block of cheese... I'm using the same cutter as you are, and I will agree that it's hard to cut em straight lol but it is possible to do so without anything breaking.

No problems with unmolding... the loaf comes out really well and is quite firm. I don't use any lye water as such - my liquid is the Goat's Milk then the oils etc
Definitely a bit harder than cutting cheese though! Thanks...maybe I'll try going less time in the fridge

Try not cutting directly out of the fridge cold soap is harder to cut.
Let it sit for about an hour or more after u take it out then cut

Don't cut it right out of the fridge. Let it sit for an hour and then cut. A cheese cutter will certainly work if not too hard. It also depends on what oils/butters etc you are using in your recipe as to how soon to cut.

Back