Different shade of natural greens

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kafayat Adebowale oyeniyi

Reaction score
Colorants are cholera for the deep green and a mixture of kaolin clay, spinach and spirulina for lighter green.All colours added at trace.frozen Breast milk as full water replacement. Fragrance with aqua di gio FO.i am loving it

Attachments

• 20200406_000340.jpg
    20200406_000340.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 26
Great colors!

I was just straining my spirulina and alfalfa alcohol infusion this morning, then mixing it with clay to try out @szaza's method (thank you!!!). I'm really not sure that it will come to anything though, I didn't measure carefully how much of what I added, and the clay seems to be just settling out of the alcohol, mostly uncolored.... Will see. If it fails, will try again!

Do post cut pictures as well!

Last edited:
Beautiful greens!! I do hope you didn't actually put cholera in your soap;):p

@atiz let me know how it works out! What kind of clay are you using? (kaolin, bentonite,...) And do you have any idea what your alcohol:clay ratio is? Mine kind of stayed a slurry, so I'm surprised yours is settling out..:confused:

Beautiful greens!! I do hope you didn't actually put cholera in your soap;):p

@atiz let me know how it works out! What kind of clay are you using? (kaolin, bentonite,...) And do you have any idea what your alcohol:clay ratio is? Mine kind of stayed a slurry, so I'm surprised yours is settling out..:confused:
Haha, I was going to ask about the cholera too :)

Yeah, will see how it turns out. I kinda measured the spirulina (+ other plants -- I tried alfalfa and annatto) and the alcohol; don't remember the amount exactly, I looked up your proportions and was planning to double that, but may have ended up with a little more, I seem to recall about 30g alcohol with the appropriate amount of plants matter (I know, should've taken notes but didn't). Put about a very heaped teaspoon of white kaolin clay in each, after straining.
I was outside this afternoon, which prevented me to check on it every 5 minutes, and it may actually be getting better. It is definitely getting thicker and greener. I may have a bit too much alcohol in the mix, so it will take some time to evaporate. Patience, grasshopper. :)
Will keep you posted, and thanks for the great method!

@atiz I used a ratio of 1:2, you used around 1:6 (assuming a teaspoon is +-5g), so that must be it.

@Kafayat Adebowale oyeniyi I'm so sorry we pretty much highjacked your thread..:confused:
I never used chlorella(I think that's what you meant?) or spinach before but those colors look absolutely stunning! They're on my to try list now.. did you use fresh spinach or powder?

Sorry @Kafayat Adebowale oyeniyi, the hijack was my fault....
What form does chlorella come in? I really love that color. Does the spinach turn into brown eventually?

(Thanks @szaza -- I guess I didn't pay close attention to that part. I was worried about how dark the color would be so tried using less. Will see! Getting better. But will post in another thread about it when it's done.)

@atiz don't take all the blame, I was way too excited that someone else was also playing around with alcohol and clays:D
Just wanted to mention it was @Mobjack Bay who came up with the idea in the first place (in her madder thread here), so all credit should go to her;)

Sorry @Kafayat Adebowale oyeniyi, the hijack was my fault....
What form does chlorella come in? I really love that color. Does the spinach turn into brown eventually?

(Thanks @szaza -- I guess I didn't pay close attention to that part. I was worried about how dark the color would be so tried using less. Will see! Getting better. But will post in another thread about it when it's done.)
The cholera comes in smooth powder from mountain rose herbs

@atiz I used a ratio of 1:2, you used around 1:6 (assuming a teaspoon is +-5g), so that must be it.

@Kafayat Adebowale oyeniyi I'm so sorry we pretty much highjacked your thread..:confused:
I never used chlorella(I think that's what you meant?) or spinach before but those colors look absolutely stunning! They're on my to try list now.. did you use fresh spinach or powder?
Spinach powder.Thats ok .we all learn from each other

Back