Different Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilfix

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm fairly new to soap making, so I've not strayed far from the typical mold containers (wood with freezer wrap), so I have a question about the other types of molds you can use, if any. I would like to make round bars and was wondering what I could use?

I've heard PVC Pipe? However, I'm not sure what to use on the ends to cap it off and I'm not sure if I have to put anything inside to keep the soap from sticking, etc...or even if this is something I can use.

I've also heard empty Pringles cans?

I guess my questions are:

1. What type of containers can I use?
  2. What do I need to do to keep the soap from sticking to the container?
  3. If I use plastic or some other type of mold, do I still need to put it in a cardboard box and drape a towel over the box?
Thanks, :razz:

How about shipping banner/poster tubes? They're very sturdy and usually come with caps. I have a 3 inch diameter tube that l line with a thin plastic cutting board from the dollar store. Easier than freezer paper and the soap/liner slide right out with a few taps. I've used 1 litre milk cartons, tea bag sachet boxes, lots of small disposable molds for testing out different sizes and shapes. Whatever you do, don't use aluminum at all, or nonstick baking pans.

You should do a search in the forums and online and guaranteed you will get all the answers you're looking for.

I like Crystal LIght containers (well, they're oval now, but some of the other brands of diet Koolaid are still round). I spray them with Pam, pour the soap in and insulate. The next day, put in freezer for a few hours, take out, let sit a few minutes, and slide the soap out.

I use PVC I cap the bottoms with a double layer of press and seal and rubber bands. I spray my inside with Mineral or Baby oil.

Don't need to try to cover the pvc or Pringles can. They heat up enough. Just put a baggie over top. Do line the Pringles can, it is a mess to get out and get rid of the bits of coating from the soap. In fact, this video is very helpful with the Pringles can.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=018-zZOTLwM[/ame]

I've used a pringles can once, on the only batch of HP I've ever done. It made a nice round bar. I can't seem to find good, round cans here though. I think the store employees play football with them before putting them on the shelves. ;)

I did just use my hdpe mold yesterday for the first time and I'm hooked! I amazingly found it on Craigslist for $15.

I've used a PVC pipe once. I lined it by just rolling freezer paper and dropping it in. It worked pretty good. To cap the end I got what i think is called a test cap? They were right by the pipes. I stuck a small square of freezer paper over that before I put it on the end. Then i put some tape on just in case. Stood it up on a plate. There was very little leaking.

I just drapped some towels over and it fully gelled. Pulled the soap out the next day, absolutely no problem.

I lied. I actually used it twice. The first time i forgot to line it. I tried to block this memory. I finally got the soap out a week later. The end pieces were messed up from me banging on them, but the rest was just fine.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm hoping to make some soap this weekend, so I will let you know how it turns out...Thanks again!

Yes, let us know! I may give this a try since I love the look of round soap too.

My PVC routine:
-two or three layers of plastic wrap on bottom, held snug by rubberbands.
-wrap in towels for gel purposes.
-no lining, no spray, no nothing. I used to grease em with OO, but this leads to some weirdness in the soap at the surface, plus it's a waste of OO. I hit my PVC soap bareback, these days. :shock:
-mix soap to decent trace, pour it into the pipe with a funnel.
-put one layer of saran with rubber band at top of pipe.
-put towel over the top, to keep heat in. Depending on ambient temperatures and initial temps of your batch, this may be overkill.
-24 hours to set up
-toss in freezer for a long time. I tend to do about 12 hours; surely overkill, but you want it frozen solid.
-take it out the freezer, slice anything overhanging at the ends, and drop the pipe on the sidewalk or in the basement a couple times. Slides right out.
-mill the soap however you like. I use 3" ID pvc and cut it about 1.25" for 4.5oz +/- bars.

I get the 24" lengths of 3" pvc that they sell for a few buck$ at home depot. 70oz of oils with 23oz water and (usually, depends on recipe) 10.06oz of lye will fill a 24"x3" pvc pipe perfectly.

hth
-rob

My routine is similar to Bicycles, except I use a test cap, then wrap the bottom with saran wrap and rubberbands in case anything leaks out. Wrap in towels, gel. After 24 hours or so, I throw in the freezer for a couple of hours and then use a stack of soup cans with a baggie over the top one to push them out. I usually end up with a dent in the end of my soap that way, but I just trim off that end and use it myself when it's cured. I find each time I use the PVC, it gets easier the next time.

Bramble Berry has a nice 12 cavity round silicone mold that is so nice to work with. It isn't real expensive, I think it was about $12, this silicone mold gives a super smooth finish and they pop out easy. but of course the PVC and Pringles cans are even cheaper.

I only make soap for my family and myself so I refuse to spend money on molds! I like the plastic from Oreo's, and other cookies, chocolate candies and Q-Tips.

Just from experience, I DON'T recommend using a light bulb container. Sounds obvious, I know, but yes I did this, and it leaked SO bad!!! Don't do it!!!

-take it out the freezer, slice anything overhanging at the ends, and drop the pipe on the sidewalk or in the basement a couple times. Slides right out.
-mill the soap however you like. I use 3" ID pvc and cut it about 1.25" for 4.5oz +/- bars.
hth
-rob

I especially like the part about dropping it on the sidewalk :mrgreen: I have a nice circular mold and liner from Brambleberry, but I like your method so much I just might have to make a trip to Lowes and try it :)

I liked the liner though. May be easier than freezer paper.

No doubt the liner's better than freezer paper is; I used freezer paper in PVC molds years ago, and I definitely had some issues with the soap's flow. I've since skipped freezer paper or any other sort of lining, and I feel like I'm much better off as a result.:smile:

Back