Different milks in cold process soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I normally make cold process soap and have tried goat milk only a handful of times. However, what are the thoughts on horse milk soap??

We breed standardbred horses so I do have access to horse milk, but I’m not sure how it would be accepted in general.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

I think, if you're thinking of selling, it would depend on your target market. I'm pretty sure that people in my circle of friends wouldn't go for it but if you're in an area where horses are raised, it might not be an issue.
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that as well but some of the people I have asked so far look at me like I have two heads. I will think about it some more.

I will think about it some more.
I recently tested milk soaps for a soaping buddy: goat milk, cow and camel. I was given 3 samples, but I didn't know which was which until the end. After 4 weeks, the cow's milk was the winner.

Although goat milk is a good seller and camel's milk has some exotic label appeal as well, cow's milk doesn't get the same respect. I think the same would be true for horse milk, i.e., mare's milk, i.e. "Equae Lac" -- whole milk from female horses.

But try it! See how you like it. Wine soaps sell in wine country; maybe mare's milk soap will sell where you are.

Names like Seabiscuit, Secretariat, Man O' War, Black Beauty, Trigger and similar might go a long way to attracting enough attention to start selling well. Milk is milk, eh?

I recently tested milk soaps for a soaping buddy: goat milk, cow and camel. I was given 3 samples, but I didn't know which was which until the end. After 4 weeks, the cow's milk was the winner.

Although goat milk is a good seller and camel's milk has some exotic label appeal as well, cow's milk doesn't get the same respect. I think the same would be true for horse milk, i.e., mare's milk, i.e. "Equae Lac" -- whole milk from female horses.

But try it! See how you like it. Wine soaps sell in wine country; maybe mare's milk soap will sell where you are.

Names like Seabiscuit, Secretariat, Man O' War, Black Beauty, Trigger and similar might go a long way to attracting enough attention to start selling well. Milk is milk, eh?
How do you mean cows milk was the winner? What made it the winner?

How do you mean cows milk was the winner?
All the soaps were the same recipe. They lathered up well and rinsed off quickly but the cows milk consistently left my hands feeling soft and moisturized... no need to use lotion, as often is the case here in Colorado's dry climate. :)

All the soaps were the same recipe. They lathered up well and rinsed off quickly but the cows milk consistently left my hands feeling soft and moisturized... no need to use lotion, as often is the case here in Colorado's dry climate. :)
Interesting that goats milk didn't.

Very happy to hear this as I just found out we have a local lady with Jersey cows who I will be purchasing some raw milk from for use in my soaps, along with goats milk. Have already turned out several successful batches of coconut milk soap, so definitely wish to be making more milk-based soaps.

When I make cp bar soap I had always used goats milk until I had way too much cow milk in refrigerator. So I thought why not try it to use it up. I couldn't tell a difference in goats milk vs cow milk. There is a very small difference in the fat content.

I used to use cow milk. It was what I had on hand and makes a nice bar (OMH is my mom's favorite) that many of my family members appreciate. It sold well for me when I started selling, but I regularly had people wanting goats milk and not buying because it wasn't goat. So I switched. No one notices a difference other than me but I gained some customers.

I'm using leftover churn buttermilk from making a ton of homemade butter. I put them into ice cube trays and once frozen I put them into ziplock bags. I have way too much buttermilk and I don't know what else to do with it.

I'm using leftover churn buttermilk from making a ton of homemade butter. I put them into ice cube trays and once frozen I put them into ziplock bags. I have way too much buttermilk and I don't know what else to do with it.
I have used buttermilk to make bar soap. It turned out really nice.
Make a small batch - 1 lb to test it.

I absolutely would go for it, especially if you live in horse territory. I have also seen donkey milk soaps for sale and would try them if I could get hold of donkey milk, which I am going to try to do when I move. If I ever get moved...

Back