Different cost/grade lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nivisoaps

Reaction score
In India NAOH is sold by soap making dealers at two prices, some sell at 500 Rupees range and other ones at 100 rupees range.. all of them are whole sale suppliers.. is it the same in other countries too.. what should i look for while buying Lye?

There are different grades of NaOH sold in the US. The main difference is some NaOH is produced at high purity levels for chemical laboratory use and other specialty purposes. Other NaOH is made at somewhat lower purity for use in soap making, food production, and other general uses.

When looking at commercial NaOH, some is tested to food grade standards and some is not. There isn't a large difference in price for food grade NaOH versus not-food-grade NaOH -- certainly not a 5 times difference! All this NaOH essentially comes out of the same pipeline -- the difference is just the level of testing.

Do you know why there is such a big difference in price for the NaOH in India? Is there a difference in purity or ???

I don't know..I also wonder the same.. a company sells a pharma grade lye for 125Rs and another one sells a technical grade lye for 525 Rs, and another one sells a lye for soap making at 500Rs.. couldn't find the reasons why???

If you can't get that info from your suppliers, I regret to say I can't either. My apologies I cannot be more helpful.

Back