Differences in Lard question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually buy blocks of Armour Lard (the green and white block). I went to the store today and they didn't have any, but had tubs of "refined lard"...a Teal and Purple container. Is this the same thing? The blocks do not say refined, but the ingredients are the same.

Kim -- you should be fine. I normally use Armour, too, but I've used other brands as well depending on where I'm shopping. Never seen any big difference.

I use different brands too. The only one I don't care for is snow cap, it tends to develop dos fairly quickly.

Oh, my .... Snickerdoodles ... I use half butter and half lard. Butter for flavor and lard for a tender, sandy crunch. Yummmmmmm!

It is odd that people have different experiences with lard. I can't say I've ever noticed any problems with rancidity that I can link to a brand and only mild differences in odor. I've used several store-bought brands, lard from Soaper's Choice, lard rendered by a local locker, and my home rendered lard. The store-bought brand I've used the most has been Armour, so if I have a choice of brands, I'll pick that one just because I'm most familiar with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back