Difference in olive oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am concerned, because things are absorbed into the body through the skin. The short time that it stays on the skin, it still penetrates and that is why people are wanting to make their own soaps...to avoid the chemicals of commercial soaps.

If I had known this, I would never have ordered the pomace. I want a chemical-free soap.

There is no such thing as chemical free soap. You are using lye which is a chemical. EO/FO are chemicals It's a wash off product. Not on the skin long enough to be absorbed enough to affect you really

Well I am referring to the refined crystal clear yellow or green color Pomace Olive oil that you can buy at a supermarket and not the very old oil that is very cloudy found eg. in big containers someone has at the basement.

As far as it concerns the chemicals, I don't know either if they survive the lye or if they stay at our body while bathing, I just mentioned that they are present in the first place.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as chemical free soap. You are using lye which is a chemical. EO/FO are chemicals It's a wash off product. Not on the skin long enough to be absorbed enough to affect you really

From what I understand...the lye is completely gone when the soap has cured. EOs are all natural botanical products. FOs are yes, a chemical product, which is in such a tiny amount that it should not have much, if any effect. However, OO is basically the bulk of the soap....

The idea that pomace olive oil has higher unsaponifiable content compared with other types of olive oil somewhat accurate. The standards for pomace call for a max unsaponifiable content of 3% by weight and the other grades of olive have a limit of 1.5%.*

For comparison, my notes show coconut oil may have up to 1% unsaponifiables, palm oil 1.2%, lard around 1%. Of the typical soaping fats, I would consider shea to have a high unsaponifible content. It runs around 4-9% -- a LOT higher than the others. I don't know that I'd put pomace in the same category as shea -- remember that 3% is a MAX value, not an average.

What is quite a bit different about pomace is the allowable acidity at the time of manufacture -- it has an allowable acidity that is 1/10th that allowed for extra virgin olive. Yes ... LESS acidity than extra virgin. Keep in mind this is the acidity from the supplier, however -- not the acidity after weeks or months of sitting on a store shelf or in your pantry.

* http://www.internationaloliveoil.org/estaticos/view/222-standards
also
http://www.codexalimentarius.org/standards/list-of-standards/ Search for CODEX STAN 33-1981, Standard for Olive Oils and Olive Pomace Oils

Last edited:
"the lye is completely gone when the soap has cured ... OO is basically the bulk of the soap...."

This logic doesn't work just one way. If lye isn't present in the soap when cured -- and I agree that it should not be -- then it is also just as true that olive oil is not the bulk of the soap. Saponified olive oil is.

Thank you DeeAnna for the information, so I guess virgin and pomace has so much little difference in unsaponified content that it might be difficult to understand while comparing them.

I'll try my best to see if I can understand this when I'll test my experiment in a couple of months: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=57549

I have just also read that a company called HELLENIC ORGANIC FOOD that makes and sells Olive Oil in the southern region of Greece, their Extra Virgin has from 0,5% to 1,5% of unsaponifiable content while their pomace has up to 2,5%.

I am concerned, because things are absorbed into the body through the skin. The short time that it stays on the skin, it still penetrates and that is why people are wanting to make their own soaps...to avoid the chemicals of commercial soaps.

If I had known this, I would never have ordered the pomace. I want a chemical-free soap.

I agree with you, Narnia. It is important to me.
I get a reaction to EOs but not FOs.
My DH can't use either FOs or EOs. He is not sure of the reaction but adds say to use I fragranced soap.

Latest posts

Back