Difference between Dove and my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmk3482

Reaction score
Okay, so I usually would buy Dove soap if I buy store soap. Even the bars of their soap are great. The reason is because when I use their soap, there isn't a "waxy" feeling left on my skin after I use it. I have dry skin and very hard water. Dove liquid shower soap and bar soap all lathers good, leaves my skin feeling soft and doesn't leave that 'waxy' feeling that I get from cheaper soaps.

I hope someone here knows what I mean when I say that waxy feeling. When you wash with the soap and you rinse it off, then you touch your skin again, it feels 'squeaky.' Not really itchy. Just like there's a residue.

Well, I always thought it was because the cheap soaps don't have enough glycerin in them. But my home made soap would, so it should be as good as Dove soap. Well, it's not. My first really good batch of soap, leaves that same waxy feeling on my skin.

Does anyone know what causes this? Does anyone know a recipe for CP soap that feels as good as Dove?

Do you think it would be possible to copy the dove recipe somehow?

Thanks.

Hard to say really because you didn't say what you used to make your soap.

jmk3482 said:
Okay, so I usually would buy Dove soap if I buy store soap. Even the bars of their soap are great. The reason is because when I use their soap, there isn't a "waxy" feeling left on my skin after I use it. I have dry skin and very hard water. Dove liquid shower soap and bar soap all lathers good, leaves my skin feeling soft and doesn't leave that 'waxy' feeling that I get from cheaper soaps.

I hope someone here knows what I mean when I say that waxy feeling. When you wash with the soap and you rinse it off, then you touch your skin again, it feels 'squeaky.' Not really itchy. Just like there's a residue.

Well, I always thought it was because the cheap soaps don't have enough glycerin in them. But my home made soap would, so it should be as good as Dove soap. Well, it's not. My first really good batch of soap, leaves that same waxy feeling on my skin.

Does anyone know what causes this? Does anyone know a recipe for CP soap that feels as good as Dove?

Do you think it would be possible to copy the dove recipe somehow?

Thanks.

I can't for the life of me find my recipe but from memory, it was something very similar to this:

Coconut oil: 30%
jojoba oil: 3%
olive oil: 60%
shea butter: 7%

Dove soap has tetrasodium EDTA in it, a chelating agent that binds with minerals and reduces soap scum in hard water. It is used in a lot of commercial soaps like Dove, Dial, Safeguard, and Lever, etc... Although you can buy it as an ingredient to add to handmade soap from a place called Lotion Crafters on the web, most handmade soapers like to keep their soaps as chemically free as possible, and so they don't use it. I've personally never used it myself, but I have read that there are some handmade soapers that do, in order to reduce soap residue build-up.

How high do you superfat your soap? If it's too high of a superfat, your soap will leave more of a residue. You can always try lowering your superfat level see if that helps. HTH! :)

IrishLass

I sometimes use tetrasodium EDTA - cuts down on soap scum in my shower. Regarding skinfeel, well I guess it might impact that. I recall the old Zest ads (the first company that touted their soaps as NOT being soaps) talking about no residue on skin or shower... Zestfully clean and all...

might work for you - who knows. but actually Dove has a LOT of ingredients: http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cg ... d=12002007. Who's to say what impacts what KWIM?
Fragrance(s)/perfume(s)
Stearic acid
Tetrasodium EDTA
2,6-Di-t-butyl-p-cresol (BHT)
Sodium stearate
Trisodium etidronate
Sodium chloride
Water
Sodium tallowate
Titanium dioxide
Sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate
Coconut fatty acids
Sodium cocoate
Sodium cocoyl isethionate
Cocoamidopropylbetaine
Sodium palm kernelate
Sodium alkylbenzenesulfonate

My soaps leave what I feel is a coating after I use them; it almost feels as though I've put lotion or something on. It's because I'm really into the coconut milk, gm, and yogurt (thanx Rita). When you use a commercial soap and you feel that "squeaky" clean, that means a lot of the oil in your skin has been washed away. My skin can't take most commercial soaps .. I can use Dove and that's about it. If I use that stuff in the winter, the skin on my knuckles, shins, elbows, knees, etc cracks and bleeds. It even happened to me this summer when I was on a trip and ran out of my handmade soap. Although, with as much soap is in my kitchen at the moment, I don't know if I"ll ever have to buy it again!! :D

I remember the Dove commercial saying that they use 1/4 cup cream in every bar. So I said to myself I want to cram alot more cream than that into mine. Plus us soapers handcrafted soaps don't have all of those harsh chemicals added. They have to add em. They sit around in warehouses, on store shelves for who knows how long. I say what we all have is much better than Dove! Your recipe sounds yummy! :wink:

Thanks for the all the useful info everyone!! I don't know if I'll want to use the tetrasodium in my soap but I'll look into it. I went back to the soap I made that I was unhappy with because it's been cureing for almost 2 months now. I used it after a couple weeks and it gave me that waxy feeling but now it seems to be better. Maybe it just needed more cure time. But it's still not perfect. Thanks again everyone!

IrishLass said:
Dove soap has tetrasodium EDTA in it, a chelating agent that binds with minerals and reduces soap scum in hard water. It is used in a lot of commercial soaps like Dove, Dial, Safeguard, and Lever, etc... Although you can buy it as an ingredient to add to handmade soap from a place called Lotion Crafters on the web, most handmade soapers like to keep their soaps as chemically free as possible, and so they don't use it. I've personally never used it myself, but I have read that there are some handmade soapers that do, in order to reduce soap residue build-up.

How high do you superfat your soap? If it's too high of a superfat, your soap will leave more of a residue. You can always try lowering your superfat level see if that helps. HTH! :)

IrishLass

Oh, and actually, this recipe wasn't superfatted at all. But I'm thinking I might do that with the next batch. Just a little tho.

jmk3482 said:
Oh, and actually, this recipe wasn't superfatted at all. But I'm thinking I might do that with the next batch. Just a little tho.

None at all? Not even a minimum of 5%?

I always considered 5% superfat a sort of saftey zone to account for the difference in actual SAP values and SAP values in the normal range.

Don't forget that Jojoba oil is a liquid wax that creates a barrier on your skin....perhaps that's what you are feeling.

Keep in mind that Dove bars are synthetic detergents, they are not made from real soap, which explains why they rinse off so easily.

actually they are a combination of detergent and real soaps (Sodium tallowate, Sodium cocoate, Sodium palm kernelate)

Deda said:
jmk3482 said:

None at all? Not even a minimum of 5%?

I always considered 5% superfat a sort of saftey zone to account for the difference in actual SAP values and SAP values in the normal range.

Well, I'm still a newbie. I've only made two batches of CP. I'm just now learning about superfatting. Is there supposed to be a minimum? I used the Soap Calc 9 that is so popular to figure my recipe. How exactly do you super fat a recipe?

If you are using soapcalc.com and sticking to the defaults then you ARE suprfatting at 5% (upper right hand corner, 3rd box down I think)

soap film

are you using distilled water in your soap? and if you are using milk based soaps in hard water i have read to add 1 tsp borax per 16 oz liquid. this also enhances foaming action. per : casey makela- milk based soaps, www.storey.com

just a thought...

carebear said:
If you are using soapcalc.com and sticking to the defaults then you ARE suprfatting at 5% (upper right hand corner, 3rd box down I think)

Okay, yes, I'm using that one and that's what I did then. So I guess if you want to super fat more, you just increase the %.

Re: soap film

heartsong said:
are you using distilled water in your soap? and if you are using milk based soaps in hard water i have read to add 1 tsp borax per 16 oz liquid. this also enhances foaming action. per : casey makela- milk based soaps, www.storey.com

just a thought...

Yes, I used distilled water and not milk. But I'm thinking of doing goats milk so I'll look into the borax idea.

Back