Didn't Make the Grad-ient

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are a lot of cool soaps coming out of this month's Gradient challenge that won't be entered because they don't meet the rules or just weren't the favorite. I hate to see them get buried and lost in the main challenge thread, so this is for them.

I'll start with my extras. The first one pictured was my first attempt, just figuring out the basics. I entered my second soap but still wanted to play without worry about the rules or the pressure to get too creative.

I should say, many of us found these difficult to photograph well, so forgive that part.

ETA: Special thanks to GalaxyMLP and the other challenge mods for encouraging our development :)

SeaScape Gradient.JPG

2 flatline.jpg

1 Southwest Vista.jpg

4 pink bottom.jpg

Last edited:
CaraBou, I can't get over how much your challenge entry (and second photo, above) look like reflections. At first I thought both soaps were photographed on a mirror, until I looked closer and realized the black line was actually part of the soap. I love the effect!

Newbie, the gradient swirls are incredible... and very inspiring. In fact, all of the soaps here are inspiring, from color combinations to design.

This is my first attempt for a challenge soap, along with my initial foray with the Tall & Skinny Shimmy. Not only was I not very happy with the way it turned out, I also subsequently re-read the challenge rules and determined it didn't fit within them. I did not fancy being a rule renegade!

Now I've discovered that while soaping itself can be challenging, photographing said soaps is just downright difficult for me. I so admire those of you with a knack for capturing such beautiful pictures!

P1150675.jpg

This is one I made sometime last year. Did not get clean lines

Glad you posted even though you didn't enter. I'd love for other people to share past gradients as well.

As for clean lines, they have a nice effect but I also like the visual interest provided by uneven layers. This technique is a natural for certain landscape soaps, regardless whether you use one color or many.

I really like this technique because it repeatedly produces nice soap even with breakthrough or uneven lines. It was great not getting butt-ugly failures like I have gotten with many other techniques. Plus it's an awesome way to use accelerating fragrances that I am often too afraid of!

Newbie, that soap is so gorgeous! Now we need Teresa to post her beauty too. It was your posts that made me want to start this thread.

HowieRoll, I love that shimmy! This technique is a natural for tall & skinny molds. I didn't use mine because I loved that 2 oz dixie cups created the perfect-sized layer for my one pound regular mold (it holds 11 in total with room to spare at top). If I'd had bigger cups I might have tried with the T&S.

Howieroll, reminds me of, "Tracks of My Tears". But I link everything to music. Well flne!

"Tracks of My Tears" - sounds like the title to some of my soaping sessions. :???:

Rusti, your soap has such a beautiful, buttery look and I'm really liking the subtle variation (well, it looks subtle on my screen but may be more pronounce in person?).

"Tracks of My Tears" - sounds like the title to some of my soaping sessions. :???:

Rusti, your soap has such a beautiful, buttery look and I'm really liking the subtle variation (well, it looks subtle on my screen but may be more pronounce in person?).

It actually is pretty subtle once you move up from the bright yellow at the bottom of the bar.

The rules required us to use relatively straight lines, so landscapes weren't allowed. I couldn't resist though so had to make one.

I'm so glad I decided to look at this before I did my second attempt. I did not see in the rules where we were not supposed to have straight lines. I was planing to to a mountainscape for my entry. I guess that just got knocked out of the que. I'll save that for my personal stash. Hmmm. There's not a whole lot of love happening here. I'm going to get out the fancy mold and try that one again.

There's not a whole lot of love happening here. I'm going to get out the fancy mold and try that one again.

How can say that when your flowers, lady bugs & butterflies turned out so beautiful? Well, can you at least post that here? Unless of course you create your own thread, which it truly does deserve. Point is, it needs to be more visible.

Back