Didn’t colour??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa38

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to this soap making from home fancied trying something different.
I ordered what I think I would need from amazon/eBay and I purchased a Shea butter melt and pour soap base.
I have just made some tonight with my daughters and we wanted to make them a pinky red colour but used red food colouring and it just turned a browny greyey like colour they came out very good and neat, we were chuffed but don’t know why it didn’t colour?
Is it because it was a solid white and not clear ? Or did I use wrong colouring? Thank you

I don't why it came out brown. Food colouring is just that, it's for food. You would be best to get colours specific for soap. Look for soap suppliers where you live.
As this is your first post, please go to the Intro forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Likely from the food coloring. I've used food coloring in MP before and colors are decent but every food coloring companies used different ingredients and some of them can morph in soap.

It's for the best that you get colorant specifically designed for soap. Pigments, micas, color blocks, etc. They can be a bit costly and not locally available but a little bottle or a block can last a lot of soaps.

If you just want to give it a try without spending too much, you can use herbs if you have them: spinach powder, lemon peel powder, tumeric, maddere root, etc.
You can also try cheap/leftover make up. I've used those tiny eye shadow palettes from dollar store and they worked fine, they are basically mostly micas and pigments. Just scrape them into powder form and mix with a bit alcohol or glycerin. Not the perfect solution, but works in a pinch.

You can also try cheap/leftover make up. I've used those tiny eye shadow palettes from dollar store and they worked fine, they are basically mostly micas and pigments. Just scrape them into powder form and mix with a bit alcohol or glycerin. Not the perfect solution, but works in a pinch.

I used to sell Mineral Makeup and was just thinking about all the little pots of eyeshadows, blushes and bronzers that I have. Stuff doesn’t go ‘bad’ since it’s all loose powder with no fillers.

Back