Did my first pencil line!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've recently seen a couple of people make their mica lines by rubber-banding a bit of nylon hose over the open mica container. Then turn it over and tap the mica out. It seems to come out very evenly and in a very fine layer.

Amy Warden did it that way for this month's Soap Challenge Club, and I saw someone else on YT as well - maybe Tellervo? I'm going to try it for my next mica line.

Last edited:
I did my first pencil line the other day too. Was so excited that it actually turned out !
Thanks to @dibbles for fluid recipe and to @Jillyb for trick re pencil line. My batters were all quite pourable, I lightly dusted between the two layers with charcoal... it was a very light dust because I don't have much charcoal.... but I spritzed lightly before and after dusting with my hand sanitizer !! Hand sanitizer BECAUSE I went to grab the bottle of isopropyl alcohol and it wasn't there...SO next best thing 😊 I thought, why not... it's mostly isopropyl alcohol...with aloe juice & lemongrass... which was one of the eo's in my soap. Thanks too @Jillyb for citrus beer idea... I used 1/2 lime beer, 1/2 water.

I love the colors in your layered soap! Would you share what you used?

Back