Did my first batch of liquid soap. Not sure if it come out right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
Warning for lengthy post.

I decided to try my hands at liquid soap since I just bought a cheap crockpot to make soup.
I read some articles about making liquid soap and figured it doesn't look too different from bar soap, just use different lye and need heat so I throw coconut oil into the soapcalc and went ahead.

The recipe I used:
400g coconut oil
121.2g KOH (85% so there's actually 103g KOH)
152g distilled water
0%SF

So I poured CO into my pot, measure and mixed my lye, and started SBing.
This is how it looks like after 5 mins of SB. I was panicking a bit because this doesn't not look like the video I watched!

I continued blending for another 5 min or so and the mixture start to thick up but it's not emulsifying. The solids and the liquids just won't go together. I decided that instead of panicking, I just let it be and do its thing so I turn off the crockpot, walked away and had my lunch.

An hour later, I came back to a almost transparent pot. I was excited so I didn't take any picture.
My stick blender had scractched my pot a bit, leaving black bits in the soap, so I switched to a whisk.
After whisking only a couple of time, the soap turned solid color again.

And within 1 minute, the soap was too stiff to whisk and in solid color. It was again not looking like what I saw in tutorials again so I was confused and decided to let it sit again.

Nothing changed after 3 hours. I decided whatever if it fails I will just try again, so I started dumping water cooking it. It start to turn translucent after cooking and mashing for 30 mins. I let it sit overnight and packed into a Ziploc bag this morning.

I didn't do a zap test. I was kinda scared of licking soap. I read you could dissolve soap paste in water, if it's clear then soap is done, if it's cloudy then it still need to cure. So I did that. The water is not "water clear" per se, it's a bit milky. I forgot to take pictures but it's rather similar to this↓, albeit a bit whiter.

(picture was from https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/tips-tricks-making-liquid-soap/)

My question being: what went wrong during the process? Most of my process doesn't look like liquid soaps I saw online. I also don't have my crockpot on most of the time since the heat from soap is already pretty hot so is it really necessary to use crockpot? Do I need to let the soap paste cure or can I use it right away?

400g coconut oil
121.2g KOH (85% so there's actually 103g KOH)
152g distilled water
0%SF
My question being: what went wrong during the process?
This is a pretty easy fix. When making LS you need to figure the water amount at 3 X weight of KOH (NOTE: In some cases you can use 2 X KOH.) So:
3 X 103g KOH = 309g water

Instead of Water as % of oils:
Water %.png

Tick the Water:Lye Ratio button and type in 3:1 like so:
3 X KOH.png

I also don't have my crockpot on most of the time since the heat from soap is already pretty hot so is it really necessary to use crockpot?
Good thinking.... it isn't necessary to use a crockpot. Once the soap traces you can pretty much turn it off, leave the cover on and let the soap do its thing... overnight is good.
Do I need to let the soap paste cure or can I use it right away?
When you turn the heat off and leave the soap in the crockpot, it will continue the saponification process for some time -- 1-2 weeks -- before it becomes that honey-colored "vaseline-like" paste you've seen on the videos you watched. As a matter of fact, you can leave it in the ZipLoc for as long as it takes to get there. Should be fine. Have fun watching it do its thing!
I didn't do a zap test. I was kinda scared of licking soap. I read you could dissolve soap paste in water, if it's clear then soap is done, if it's cloudy then it still need to cure. So I did that.
I'm not a fan of the zap test either, but most LS'ers on SMF prefer it. I prefer pheno drops and/or the soap-in-water test as well.

I was impressed with how well you handled the process. The first rule of soaping is "PATIENCE". The second rule is "DONT PANIC". You didn't panic and your thoughtful approach, i.e., adding more water was an excellent decision. I think you're going to be quite happy with your result in a few days.

Last edited:
Back