Did I do the Right Thing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrissyB

Reaction score
My daughter is 16. For the last couple of months she has been seeing a boy. Her first "proper" boyfriend. He's a really nice kid and seems to have his head screwed on, has his own car that he saved for, a job.
I was cleaning her room this morning and picked her bag up and a chemist bag fell out...it was for the morning after pill. I didn't know if I should say something or not, but I thought, no, I'm her mother...she needs to be able to come to me with this stuff. I put the packet on the table and said "is there something you want to talk to me about?". She burst into tears. I told her it was ok, I just want her to talk to me. I had my son when I was 17, I don't want that to happen to her. My mother never talked to me about contraception. I fell pregnant to my first boyfriend.Sooo, she told me what happened...at the boyfriends house for the first time without his parents home, one thing led to another and they had sex. The condom broke. So she went and got the morning after pill straight away. Like within an hour. She wasn't on any other contraception...we have talked about it and I told her she just has to tell me when and we will go to the doctor. So, I gave her the money back for the morning after pill. It cost her $30. She has a job and earns her own little bit of money, and I thought of making her wear the cost as a little lesson to her, but it takes two to tango, and I don't want to shut down the lines of communication. We have a doctors appointment tomorrow, she wants me to go in there, and discuss contraceptive methods.
She just texted me and said she'd told the bf that i found the pills, and he is coming over this afternoon to give me back the money. She said he was always going to give it back to her, but he wants to come and give it to me himself. I think that takes guts for a teenager to do.
So, what do you think, did I handle this ok? I'm a little shell shocked really. It really hits you when you realise your kids are growing up.

You sound like a fantastic mom. And you have a wonderful daughter with a seriously fabulous boyfriend.

I'm so proud of all 3 of you I'm actually all choked up.

Nicely handled.

(remind her, though, that it's not only about preventing pregnancy. STDs suck, and some of them kill)

Thanks guys. :oops:
We talked about STD's. I told her even if we go to the doc and she starts the pill, they still need to use condoms.
I remember what it's like at that age, kids are going to do what they want regardless, so I think it's better to be communicative and open and educate her. It's hard, in my head she's still my baby, but it's the right thing to do. I told her it's important to be responsible for herself.
This whole teenage thing is quite bamboozling really!

I think you handled it soo well. Her boyfriend sounds super too. It's so hard to be 16 years old and it's wonderful that she was able to tell you what happened.
Although I don't understand why he would think he needs to pay her for the morning after pills, they're both responsible for something like that. And yes I think it's fair for her to pay for that herself, but it was nice of you to give her the money for it.

It's amazing that she could talk to you about this!

Wow, how very open and mature of all of you. You can't keep them from having sex, but you can keep them safe. I would even consider buying the condoms because they might get lazy, which is not good. I'm curious what the boyfriend said.

You're a great mom. You're raising a wonderful woman.

Real character isn't never making mistakes, it's owning up to them and handling the consequences. You should be very very proud!

aw you guys have all made me blush!
I totally agree that we can't stop them having sex, but can teach them to be safe. She's a really good girl, and I know that for her to "go all the way" with this boy he must mean an awful lot to her. Obviously, this is her first boyfriend. She is very mature. She's not spending every waking moment with him, she still has school, friends, home, work, and now the boyfriend as well, and she is fitting in everything just fine. Not neglecting her friends or school, so I'm ok with it. She knows now that she can talk to me. I didn't make a big deal out of it, and told her i was proud of her for acting so quickly, not sitting on it for a few days and then doing something.
The boyfriend is two years older than her, like I said, he has a job, is a second year apprentice, still lives at home with his parents, he's a really nice kid. He did come over and give me the money...and thanked me for being so understanding and not judgemental. I told him we were all young once upon a time. He said "you're a legend". :shock:
So that's my saga for the day over and done with...dr's visit tomorrow and we'll discuss her options with the dr...I'm thinking just the oral pill, she's good at remembering things so I know she'll take it...unless the dr recommends something else.
Tasha, I think he is a really responsible guy...he wanted to pay for the pills, I told him it's not about the $$$, but about accepting the consequences for our actions. He said "it's the right thing to do".

Wow Chrissy...its true.. your a wonderful Mum & you handled everything so well.
U should feel so wonderful about that.
Teens....blerrrr... I've got a 16 yr old.

Those young people show amazing character. I know where your daughter got hers! It must be a wonderful feeling for your daughter to know that her mother is there for her.

Oh wow! I don't think that could have gone better! You handled it wonderfully. And kudos for the boyfriend even coming around after being found out! Most would tuck and run! lol That shows guts and maturity.

Great job!

I think You handled it very well, now your daughter knows she can talk to you about anything.

I have 2 boys 18 and 21 I started having open talks with them when they were about 13 and at 15 I took them to the free clinic and showed them where to get condoms. I would never change being a young mom, but it wasn't something I wished for them to go through...

Okay, gotcha Chrissy! Very mature of him and both of them.
I agree that oral contraceptives are usually the way to go!

I'm a big believer in communication even if it is negative or really hard.

I hope you don't mind me asking this question. I know you talked around all the options about having sex and all it's consequences. But did you talk about the option of not having sex and all it's consequences?

When I was a teen my mom told me if I got pregnant we were going to keep the baby. ( Many, many moons ago) Hence she assumed I was going to have sex. She was very non-communicative and now that I have raised 4 I wish that she would have talked to me about why I might not want to have sex until the right time. That option wasn't presented.

All the best to you.

Laurie

Wow! It can be a very fine line between being their "Mom" and also "friend", but you handled it just beautifully! In my job I work with a LOT of teen mothers. Most of them lacked the support and positive communication with their mother that you obviously have with your own daughter. I love that you approached the situation in a way that brought about positive resolution for all involved. Maybe you should change your Avatar name to SoapmakingPsychologist :lol:

Back