Did I buy the wrong FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose Wrangler

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I took advantage of RE's 20 for $20 sale and I finally tried one of the FOs this weekend.

I used Southern Vanilla which smelled decent OOB but the soap currently smells like play-doh without a hint of vanilla. I went back and looked at the website, it says bath and body safe but didn't have any CP specific notes.

Guesses on if this was meant only for candles or if it might magically transform during/after the cure?

https://rusticescentuals.com/Southern-Vanilla.html

Edited for grammar

Last edited:
This has a high vanilla content so expect some color changes in the next days or even weeks. Sometimes that strange chemical smell lessens, sometimes it hangs around. I have not personally tried this particular FO. It says BB safe on the website. Last year when I did the RE sample sale I kept a spread sheet and made notes of each sample I tried and how it behaved. I've referred back to that spreadsheet many times. The good thing about the samples is they are small so if you don't like it you have a minimal amount of soap!

Agreed!

I used a vanilla stabilizer so hopefully that will limit the color change although no big deal either way. Moreso hoping I don't have to walk around smelling like play-doh once the soap is usable. :)

If it says it's skin safe at the usage percent you normally put into soap, then I'm sure it's fine. A lot of fragrances morph during the saponifiaction process. Most come back after cure to what they are supposed to smell like, some do not. It's a wait and see situation.

I rarely if ever smell like the scent of the soap after washing the soap lather off. I believe that is a rare occurrence for most people. If you are one of the lucky ones that a scent will stick to after drying off after the shower, awesome, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. It'll be a stronger scent when you are actually using it, than any other time.

I have a couple scents that turn into play doh once soaped and it never goes away. I think there are just some components that are play doh for certain people. I had bottle of extreme cherry FO that is just terrible in CP but other people really like it. I eventually threw it out, couldn't even use it in lotion.

It's slowly morphing back into something that at least has a hint of vanilla. Still predominantly the play-doh smell but it's getting better. I'm hoping it'll continue to improve over the next 5 weeks (but I'm keeping my expectations low).

I wonder which components tend to cause the play-doh smell, it would be great to avoid them... I should check out the MSDS and see if anything stands out compared to what else I've used.

Latest posts

Back