did a spring studio tour this long Canadian weekend

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodi

Reaction score
This was a MUCH smaller version of our autumn studio tour, with fewer vendors, but it was fun, and quite well-attended.

I got to sit, walk, talk, knit (between waves of visitors).....for 3 days in relatively lovely surroundings, at a potter's studio just up the road here. She gave me the side room of her studio, which was built to be her store area, but she uses it for storage mostly, sells at stores instead.

Sales were good, even though Saturday was cold, wet, rained all day. Sunday was much better, as the sun came out and so did the people. Sales doubled. It helped that a major Saturday edition of a newspaper did a full page on two of the artisans in this spring tour. This brought more people out after they read the article.

and the third day was pretty good too, as people came out for a free musical concert in the home of a neighbour who is a basoonist. He invited a flautist and a pianist and they played classical music for 45 minutes in his lovely home.

It seems to be a draw if we can gather as many artisans/crafters in a venue where the customers can walk from studio to studio. And if there is food and music! Lunch was offered each day at another neighbour's too....gourmet: pad thai, sweet and sour soup, various sandwiches.

Some pics for you, warning: rustic, simple accomodations....this isn't sunny Californ - I- A....

Rita's studio, in front of two other outbuildings and her house is behind somewhere.

RitaStudio.JPG

The driveway view from her deck: you can see that this is really 'country living':

Driveway.JPG

the door straight ahead was my temporary 'soap store' for 3 days, and the large white framed doors led to her pottery studio.

SoaproomDoor.JPG

and here's me at the cash table. I had to erect a boundary behind me cuz of the potter's storage mess. I borrowed my handmade quilt, which many people commented on, one man wanted to buy!
I am dressed as if winter, in 5 layers, cuz it was like a refrigerator in there. Cold this weekend. I won't even mention the mosquitoes!

DiSelling.JPG

and this is what the room looked like from where I was standing, very plain so I tacked a piece of sunflower fabric to the wall.I wish I could have decorated it more, but just don't have the skill for decorating. Perhaps a plant by the window might have improved the starkness. But actually, I needed the space for customers to crowd in.

ViewfromDesk.JPG

looking back out the door, Lucy the dog kept me company for a bit....until customers arrived and he barked them away, so Rita locked her up, poor dog. She whined miserably.

RitasLucy.JPG

Sold approximately 160 bars, most at $6 per bar, some at $7, 20 at $5.

All in all, for a spring sale, it was well worth it.
Had fun, made some money, met lots of nice people.

Sounds like you had a lovely time. Going from one artisan to another seems like a great idea. :)

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Jude

That is a fantastic set up , I like the set up a lot , what a beautiful piece of country.

Kitn

Thanks everyone!

I was born and raised in a big city. Country life is new to me for the past 13 years, but I have grown to truly love it. The quiet, the fresh air, sounds of birds, coyotes, meeting beavers and racoons. Watching turtles, ducks and geese on my front pond. I have enough photos now to create a nature picture book! I should do one for my grandkids, do you think?

Latest posts

Back