Diabetes and cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitewitchbeauty

Reaction score
My mom has diabetes and high bp and I was wondering if there are certain ingredients that can hurt her in cp soap? I want to make her a few soap bars for her dry skin tone and make something moisturizing that won't hurt her diabetes or high blood pressure.

Soap being a wash off product, I think that there isn't too much to worry about at all - think about the small amount of soap that touches the skin and how much can be absorbed. Scents may be a concern, but even then only slight, as again it's a wash off product.

I would say the only way that soap can raise the blood pressure is when we're making it and it's not going well

My cousin once made a beautiful CP soap for my grandpa and he bit off a big chunk before realizing it was not food.

If you can see your mom doing that, try to avoid sugar, salt and liquorice. Otherwise, there's nothing to worry about.

I make some for my dad who had diabetes also. It has ginger and tea tree EO. ginger is reputed to help with circulation and tea tree is anti fungal. While I doubt the ginger EO does a lot to help with circulation the small amount of time it's on the skin, in my experience soap with tea tree EO does seem to help with athlete's foot, so I figure it's can't hurt anything! Since diabetics can develop poor circulation, their feet become vulnerable to infections from small cuts, etc, so good foot care is important.

Lol! Thanks, some of these replies are really funny LOL:)
I was just worried. Because I heard things about essential oils and other things that aren't good for blood pressure and diabetes and I just want to be safe rather than sorry. My blood pressure does rise a little when I can't get my soap recipe right or something happens! Haha

I have diabetes (insulin dependent and very brittle) and make CP soap. I work with gallons of FOs and EOs and put sugar in pretty much every batch of soap. If they don't have sugar, they have beer :)
I make and use sugar scrubs, too. These will not affect blood sugars.
High blood PRESSURE might be a different story when working with some essential oils - but in soap? I would say it doesn't affect it, but that I do not know for sure.

The only thing I would think would be important to a diabetic is the care of the skin - If I recall correctly it's important that it doesn't get irritated / dry / itchy or damaged, due to the potential difficulty of wound healing. So I would think the gentler the better, and no potential scratchies like whole or chopped botanicals, or coarse salt.

Latest posts

Back