Dextrin as a Bath Bomb binder in addition to Corn Starch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49910

Reaction score
Is it feasible to use dextrin as an additional binder when making bath bombs along with the corn starch?

I know it is used as a binder in other applications because of it's stickiness once it is moistened.

Perhaps @DeeAnna or @Zany_in_CO or the indomitable @ResolvableOwl would know? Any other experienced bath bomb makers please pipe in too! :secret:

Last edited:
A very decided “It Depends™”. Dextrins are a wide class of substances. AFAIK they range from sugar (glucose syrup, beer wort) to powders that are indistinguishable from starch to the naked eye.

Do you have some dextrin and want to use it? Or do you intend to buy some? In both cases, a specification would be helpful. Or, better, just try it and judge if it's worth it (ideally as a blind test).

It's yellow dextrin, originally processed from corn starch. It's primarily used in pyrotechnics such as making stars for aerial shells, and binding black powder to make fuses.

The reason I asked is that it seems to be a superior binder. However, I don't want someone to use a bath bomb and get "bound" to the tub! LOL! :tub:

I know that in making stars for aerial shells it is in about a 5% concentration and the results create a nicely bound mixture for either extruding stars, or cutting them out in squares and then rolling them.

When you refer to it as “sticky”, that sounds as if it has some moisture to it? Moisture + bicarbonate + citric acid = fizz.
I believe the stickiness refers to it becoming that way after a slight amount of moisture is added. However, I don't believe it's hygroscopic.
I corrected my OP to reflect the dextrin getting sticky after being moistened.

You might want to hire this pair to test your bath bombs.
Actually I was going to make some Monkey Farts bath bombs for some Christmas presents for my 4 year old twin grandchildren; a boy and a girl. Lucas and Lily Mae. My son will think the name is hilarious... my daughter-in-law, um maybe not so much. My former wife... just fill in the blanks! :nonono:

It's primarily used in pyrotechnics such as making stars for aerial shells <snip> I know that in making stars for aerial shells it is in about a 5% concentration and the results create a nicely bound mixture for either extruding stars, or cutting them out in squares and then rolling them.
Sort of gives a whole new meaning to the term “bath bomb” doesn’t it? 😁

Back