Design Idea/Suggestion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevolutionSoap

Reaction score
The wife wants me to make her a rose soap with a design similar to the picture below. Any ideas on how to do it
And in case you are interested, this is the scent I'll be using.

Rose Hips & Reishi from WSP

stock-photo-red-white-and-black-paint-mixing-together-creating-shapes-416603200.jpg

The wife wants me to make her a rose soap with a design similar to the picture below. Any ideas on how to do it
And in case you are interested, this is the scent I'll be using.
Rose Hips & Reishi from WSP

View attachment 53286

It reminds me of this soap but more.....lol! You'd just need to swirl more than once to get a flower instead of a heart. And probably more circles to start with. Good Luck!
Edited to add:
I tried it once:

38D7A901-29CF-4EFE-AA6A-A6EF46098541.jpeg

Last edited:
I seem to remember that this kind of design starts with a Taiwan-type swirl (up and down) and then goes into the curly stuff. I'll see if I can find a YT video that shows it since I'm not saying it very well.

ETA: here is one by Brambleberry. You can also look up "peacock swirl" which is similar, but not as close as the Brambleberry one, IMO.

Last edited:
It started off very runny, but by the end it was getting quite thick. We'll see I guess. I already wish I had used more white. But it was a fun poor and design, and one I had never tried before. I'll post pics tonight when I cut it.

View attachment 53313it didn't turn out as great as I had hoped. But it's not terrible... and the wife loves it. :cool:

I think your soap is lovely! And I think that its incredibly sweet that your wife loves it even though its not perfect, after all, isn't that what love is?

Now that I'm done navel gazing and philosophizing, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring, in case you decide to take a second shot. I really enjoy the process of learning from a first try that didn't go the way I wanted it to.

So, I think its a thin line, like @linne1gi said, but maybe also swirled. It reminds me a lot of a technique by tierramarie...I'll post the video here. I also wonder if you might not benefit from a slab mold if you want to really want to replicate the design. NurtureSoap, I believe, has a great smaller slab mold (like 4 pounds). Its nice, IMO, for doing a slab mold design, but not using a ton of resources. When I first started, I also repurposed smaller amazon boxes as slab molds (the hardest part was lining them with freezer paper). I think it would be fine for a design like this where you're not pouring straight layers.

Also, here is the thin lines technique. The tutorial is also available at soapchallengeclub. I just purchased a month subscription, but I think the youtube videos are great too.

Thank you all for your kind words. Frankly, I've been embarrassed that my first shared attempt was not up to my expectations. I will continue to learn and get better and maybe someone else will see this and learn as well. :cool:

And I do think I need a slab mold. I've been thinking about it and this particular soap was my first attempt with my new NS mold. Thank you all again...now to check out some slab molds lol.

Sometimes you just have to get back to basics.

Kukui & lime fragrance oil from WSP. Smells amazing!!!

Attachments

• 20210119_195217.jpg
    20210119_195217.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210119_195106.jpg
    20210119_195106.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 9
That was always my favorite and easiest swirl to do. It has to be done at a very light trace or just at emulsion so a slow-moving recipe and a well-behaved fragrance works best. In other words, it needs to your batter needs to stay fluid to get the fluid swirls. You just pour your batter in lines and swirl in circles and loops. If pouring at emulsion just be careful not to mix all the colors together. I have a sneaky suspicion that fragrance will not work, since I bet that particular fragrance will accelerate.

Also remember, you want to pour almost all the batter in the mold, swirl then drizzle the leftover batter over the top and make your pretty swirly loopy swirl.

ETA: in the above video I never poured my line as thick as I see in the picture in order to get whispy swirls. I poured thin lines inside swirled well but careful not to mix the colors together then poured the top and swirled the top. The inside pour can be any type pour you want the top is usually the really whispy swirl.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that fragrance oil, but I love kukui nut oil. It takes me back to our Hawai'ian trip a couple years ago (celebrating 25 years of marriage). It's great for skin and I love it in lotion bars. It's a traditional salve for sunburn. Has a nice nutty fragrance. I like your colors.

Back