Deodorized Lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bladesmith

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a "deodorized lard"? I've been looking around for something to ensure no piggy smell without rendering fresh stuff myself.

When you search the internet for it this product pops up everywhere. Seems like a pretty decent deal $/lb (cheaper on other sites) but I'm hesitant to order 50lbs of it without knowing it's odorless.

Has anybody tried this stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Ventura-Foods-Deodorized-Shortenings-Pound/dp/B00CHU0LE6

Before you buy that much, go to the grocery store and pick up a pound of regular lard and make a batch with it.

Only a few people are sensitive enough to smell a piggy odor. Keep your lard on the cooler side, just warm enough to melt clear will also help.

So I did go to Wal mart and get the Armour brand lard and made a batch with it at 40%. I can pick out the smell just a bit but really like the soap. This is why I was considering this deodorized stuff.

Ah, ok. Armour is what brand I prefer and I could smell it at first to but I was heating it up too much.
The price for the deodorized is pretty good. You can always repackage it and freeze for later use.

Yeah, that temperature thing may be an issue for me. I do high temp hot process (I fully cook the soap in less than 10 minutes). So I'm soaping at 200F+

Sounds like that could be part of the problem.

Thankyou for posting this. I did not know there is deodorized lard available and Ventura Foods is less than 20 miles from me. Will be calling Monday and ask if they will sell direct or at least lead me to a supplier in my area.

I am one of the people that can smell lard when the soap gets older. I love lard in soap but some of my soaps will hang around for a year or so before they sell and many times I smell the old lard odor.

I agree with Obsidian, the temperature might have something to do with it. When I first used lard I almost burned it --- it smelled like fried bacon basically. I used a lot of EOs so I could not smell it in the finished soap, but still, it was not pleasant. Since then I have tried to make sure to only heat it as necessary for melting. I'm not sure how it would do in HP.

I use lard every time I do HP and I don't smell any difference between that and CP. I buy lard that is stored in the cooler at the store and keep it in the fridge, I have used it off the shelf a few times and once with the stuff off the shelf I have gotten a faint pig smell

Overheating does make a difference, but even my husband can smell it in older soaps.
If Ventura will sell to me direct I will be picking up a box.

I'd be interested to know if they do sell to you directly. While the nearest ventura foods is not necessarily worth making a dedicated trip for, chances are I'll be nearby in the future. Though, it will probably take me a while to use up the cube I ordered!

My cube of lard came in today. Sticking my nose down into it, there's no detectable smell at all! The Armour stuff I had purchased, definitely had a smell when you put your nose down in the tub.

Going to soap with it this weekend.

Also, what would be the best way to store say... 40lb of this stuff while I use up the first 10lb?

Would vac-packing and putting in the deep freeze be a decent option?

Just for future reference, for those that may search for this. I soaped with the lard today. It basically had no odor at all. Even when soaping at 200F+, I just smelled the normal oil smells. With the store bought stuff, the odor got pretty strong once it got up to 150F+. This stuff is truly deodorized. Very happy with the purchase.

Oof. That's a lot of lard. One thing I thought about later is that I have some family in the restaurant business. If their distributor carried it, might could get by without having to pay shipping. I'll have to ask for next time.

I only use lard or tallow in CP soap. Any residual odors from the lard or tallow usually diminish over time and are overpowered by the EOs or FOs I use in the recipe.

Back