Deodorants . . . sourcing denatured alcohol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapmaker123

Reaction score
So, the purest alcohol that you can commonly buy, as a civilian, in the US, is most likely . . .

the infamous Everclear, at 190 proof, (95 percent alcohol by volume) the highest alcohol concentration that you can get from distillation.

I think, also, that Everclear is illegal in, like, 27 states

I made soap for 5 years just a few blocks from where the infamous Everclear comes from . . .

Everclear is EXPENSIVE, because the .gov classifies it as an alcoholic beverage, and buries it beneath a heap of taxes.

Enter the magical word, DENATURED

This means that you, in some, approved manner, have the alcohol purposefully 'contaminated' such that it is no longer drinkable (supposedly).

Did you know that you are allowed to have your alcohol denatured with LAVENDER OIL ??

Once the alcohol is denatured, by an 'appoved' supplier, it is no longer taxed as liquor, and becomes CHEAP.

A drum of denatured alcohol is no longer EXPENSIVE, but it is a potential fire hazard if you store it indoors.

Good suppliers, you ask ?

I'll pause here with a riddle: Has anyone here tried S**k**k**y Vodka ? Yes, so refined. (A good term, actually.)

Do you know where it comes from and how it is made ?

. . .

You mean Skyy vodka, right?

I don't see the mystery. It's a grain-based vodka. It's 80 proof, just like many other vodkas on the market.

80 proof (or 40% alcohol by volume) vodka is not in the same league as 151 proof (sold in Iowa and other states) or 190 proof Everclear (sold next door in Wisconsin and elsewhere). I keep both in the house but I use them for different purposes.

I like the label, it's funny,
"Warning, extremely flammable"
"Over consumption may endanger your health"
"Contents may ignite or explode"

everclear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not understand the original heading for the thread. What this has to do with deodorant and it is probably a no brainer that a lot of product can be made, but what is the point. Sorry to say I always get the feeling of bragging for the large amounts being purchased. Delete this mods, and I will certainly understand. Sorry Soapmaker, we get it you purchase large bulk amounts. Nope I am not jealous I do not want to pay the 24 hr bills for a factory. Been there done that... okay I am pushing the post button...:) :eek:

"...I'll pause here with a riddle: Has anyone here tried S**k**k**y Vodka ? Yes, so refined. (A good term, actually.) Do you know where it comes from and how it is made ?..."

If you explain yourself in a matter-of-fact way, people will be more likely to actually understand the point you're trying to make and learn from your experiences. If that is how you would like us to treat what you have to say, then skip the coy riddle making, please.

Back