Deodorant with flower water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update because I’ve finally made a recipe I really like! It’s 50% magnesium hydroxide, 38% sunflower oil, 10% cetyl alcohol and 2% essential and/or fragrance oil. I still have moderately stinky days, but that happened with purchased deos too.

Congratulations on finding a recipe that works for you. I think 50% is what I started out with as well (or close to it, maybe slightly more.) I am curious about the sunflower oil. Does it leave any oily residue on your clothing at all? If so, and you have access to PS80, it's a good stain remover that will release the oil from clothing very well.

I’ve read all the deo threads I could find... Haven’t been able to locate babassu oil that isn’t too spendy with the shipping (I’m in Sweden).
In case you're still looking for babassu.. have you tried dragonspice.de? Their European shipping is €12,80. Obviously that's a lot if you only want babassu, but they have a bunch of other products and I quite like them (I get my EO's and butters from them)

My current recipe is around 26% but I am going to increase the percentage this next go round. A while back, Earlene had posted her recipe in the de-funk de pits thread (which, if you're interested in making deodorant is THE best place to start reading). On a whim, I whipped up a small batch and found that the higher percentage gave slightly better results with no adverse skin effects. I copied her recipe below for you to use as a jumping off point.
49% babassu oil
42% MgOH
5% Rice Bran Wax
3% Cera Bellina Wax
1% FO
I have tried this recipe among several other recipes for deodorant, it worked great, I shared it only with my family as I found that the % from the supplier shouldn't exceed 30%. I also like Irishlass recipe of mixing babassu oil with the MgOH but I use it for myself, my teenagers didn't like the idea of applying it by hand.

I have tried this recipe among several other recipes for deodorant, it worked great, I shared it only with my family as I found that the % from the supplier shouldn't exceed 30%. I also like Irishlass recipe of mixing babassu oil with the MgOH but I use it for myself, my teenagers didn't like the idea of applying it by hand.
So... Is the recipe you quoted above a solid? I’m not fond of using my hand either...

I use 41.7% Babassu, 30% Magnesium Hydroxide, Btms 25, Carnauba Wax, Illipe Butter, Cetyl Alcohol, Zinc Ricinoleate, Zinc Oxide, and Fragrance. It held up very well during my summer market without leaking fragrance. Sorry, I did not give up all my percentages but I have been working on my formula for almost 2 yrs. I personally use it un-fragranced and it works well.

I use 41.7% Babassu, 30% Magnesium Hydroxide, Btms 25, Carnauba Wax, Illipe Butter, Cetyl Alcohol, Zinc Ricinoleate, Zinc Oxide, and Fragrance. It held up very well during my summer market without leaking fragrance. Sorry, I did not give up all my percentages but I have been working on my formula for almost 2 yrs. I personally use it un-fragranced and it works well.

does the carnuba wax have a better glide / hardening than beeswax or do you use it for more of a vegan reason? I just got a beeswax derivative ewax that’s supposed to be smoother in formulations. I’m so excited to try magnesium hydroxide and bassabu that I got yesterday. I also didn’t realize bassabu is solid when cold lol

does the carnuba wax have a better glide / hardening than beeswax or do you use it for more of a vegan reason? I just got a beeswax derivative ewax that’s supposed to be smoother in formulations. I’m so excited to try magnesium hydroxide and bassabu that I got yesterday. I also didn’t realize bassabu is solid when cold lol
I find the carnuba does not get sticky like beeswax

Back