Deodorant Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still working through the thread, but a question about the type of magnesium. I can get/have oxide or chloride much more readily than hydroxide. Would they also be options to use?

From what I can find with a quick search, Mg Oxide mixed with water becomes Mg Hydroxide, so it seems it would probably be fine, but I am not sure if it would impact percentages used. Some folks on the web mention using Mg Chloride in DIY deodorants, but I would be concerned with absorbing additional salt through the skin. I suppose if you are not on a salt restricted diet for medical reasons it may not matter to you, but for some folks it may.
Perhaps DeeAnna has already addressed the question within the Pits thread, but I don't really recall specifically. I would be suprised if it hasn't come up before, though.

I make a deodorant from the DIY Bath & Body Shop on Etsy. Those who use it, my husband, my daughter and granddaughter, customers, love it and swear by it. One customer buys two at a time; she's told me she's tried almost every deodorant that is out on the market and she loves this one. Obviously not giving the recipe here but the recipe I use has the following ingredients (in no particular order):

OLIVEM 1000 – Olivem 1000 is made with Olive Oil being the primary source and is used in this formula as an emulsifier. It has beautiful skin feel and is also very moisturizing to the skin. Olivem 1000 all by itself is considered to be an active ingredient. If you are unable to find a source for Olivem 1000, I have also used BTMS 25 (not 50) with success. BTMS 25 is well known to leave a powdery feel on the skin. There are no other substitutes that I have tried or can recommend.

STEARIC ACID – Provides structure and heat stability

CETYL ALCOHOL – Provides emollience, structure and stability. Not to be confused with Isopropyl or Ethyl Alcohol which can be drying to the skin. Cetyl Alcohol is a fatty alcohol and is very moisturizing to the skin.

VIRGIN COCONUT OIL- (semi-solid) is the highest quality, but regular Coconut Oil 76 is just fine. It is widely believed that Coconut Oil provides mild antibacterial and antifungal properties. I have also read some studies on The National Library of Medicine that back this up. We all know about the many benefits of Coconut Oil, but it also has a very long shelf life with very little oxidation. It is not known for staining clothing. This makes it a perfect addition to a natural deodorant.

FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL (liquid) aka MCT Oil is wonderful for the skin and has a very long shelf life. It also does not stain fabric.

JOJOBA OIL – Also has a very long shelf life and is wonderful for your skin.

MIXED TOCOPHEROLS – Mixed Vitamin E Antioxidant Blend. Often referred to as Vitamin T-50 and is usually found in the Preservative or Antioxidant section of your supplier. This is a blend of three natural forms of Vitamin E and is necessary to extend and protect the shelf life of your vegetable oils from oxidation. "Normal" Vitamin E is not suitable.

ZINC RICINOLEATE - It is sourced naturally from Castor Oil and Zinc. It works by chemically trapping and absorbing odor molecules which form during bacterial decomposition of perspiration. It does not inhibit sweating and is therefore not an antiperspirant. This one of the most important ingredients in this formula. There are no suitable substitutes for this ingredient.

ARROWROOT OR TAPIOCA STARCH: Soothing and highly absorbent.

Diatomaceous Earth: MUST BE FOOD GRADE! Make sure that the label states this clearly. Diatomaceous Earth is a fine, white to off-white powder that is made from ancient, fossilized, single-cell algae called Diatoms. It’s almost pure, amphorus (non-crystalized) silica making it extremely absorbent and a perfect ingredient to help absorb odour, moisture and odour causing sweat. It’s far more gentle than baking soda and far more effective at neutralizing odors. It also has a much finer texture…almost like corn starch.

MAGNESIUM HYDROXIDE POWDER: Is the active ingredient in Milk of Magnesia and also a very effective odour neutralizer.

ZINC OXIDE POWDER - Zinc Oxide is a natural mineral white powder that is good for so many things and is very effective in combating body odor. It’s also very soothing and protective to the skin. It is pretty much the sole ingredient in Calamine Powder. Calamine Powder is 99.5% pure Zinc Oxide which has been coloured with .5% Iron Oxide to give it the pinkish colour.

PRESERVATIVE: Optiphen Plus, Euxyl PE 9010 euxyl® PE 9010 is a liquid cosmetic preservative and suitable for leave-on, rinse-off and sensitive applications. Both of these preservatives are globally approved.

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:

SEA BUCKTHORN BERRY OIL– Because of the Diatomaceous Earth and Fuller’s Earth, the finished product is a slightly beige or off-white colour. Adding .5% of this oil improves the colour a bit as well as provides amazing skin benefits. We have not found it to stain or colour fabric in this small amount.

FULLER'S EARTH POWDER for extra absorbency and soothing. Only a small amount is necessary.

ALOE VERA EXTRACT POWDER 200X – You need just a wee pinch of this.

COLLOIDAL OATMEAL – Soothing and moisturizing. Make sure to use the pharmaceutic grade of Colloidal Oatmeal. It is often sold in pharmacies under the brand name AVEENO. ™ Oat flour or finely ground oatmeal is not suitable.

Okay, so I just went through all 36 pages of that thread. Phew!

But........while other forms of Magnesium such as sterate and citrate were nixed, there wasn't a clear answer on oxide instead of hydroxide. @DeeAnna, what are your thoughts on that? I am in the same situation as another EU member was in that thread, in that hydroxide itself isn't too expensive, but the shipping is at least 3x more than the product itself! And none of the decent soaping suppliers that I know carry hydroxide either.

@The Efficacious Gentleman --

Magnesium hydroxide, Mg(OH)2, is the stuff I have purchased to use in deodorant.

Magnesium oxide, MgO, is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs and reacts with water from the air -- or perspiration from your skin -- to form Mg(OH)2. That means you're going to end up with Mg(OH)2 no matter which one you start with as long as there's water present. That's why Milk of Magnesia can be produced by using either chemical.

To convert MgO powder into Mg(OH)2 powder, you would "slake" (mix) the MgO with water, pour off the free liquid, and then dry the sediment. That means if you can find MgO from local suppliers, but can't find Mg(OH)2, you could convert MgO into Mg(OH)2 if you wanted.

The only question I don't have an answer to is whether it would be wise to slake the MgO before putting it in deo or if it's okay to use the MgO directly in the deo. At the moment I'd lean toward slaking first, because I can think of two potential problems that might happen if a person used MgO directly in deo --

First, if you used MgO directly in an anhydrous deo, I suspect the MgO at the surface of the product in your jar or tube might absorb water from the air. That might make the surface of the deo unpleasantly goopy.

Second, if you applied MgO directly to the skin, it is going to slake itself by reacting with water at the surface of the person's skin or their perspiration. It's possible that could be drying or irritating to the skin.

Thank you very much! As stated at the start of the thread, this is more for the Admirable Lady than it is for me, so I'll see if she is okay with the cost (11€ for a 500ml pot, plus 18€ shipping is the best that I have managed to find so far!)

It works! Been using it for a while now and am amazed. No marks on the clothes, no smell, pits feel much better than when I was using sprays.

Cost wise I still need to see. I think the commercial spray was cheaper maybe, but The Admirable Lady was using a product which was 15€ for 50g! So I'm well below that. I ended up getting the magnesium hydroxide sent to friends who live just over the border in Germany and they brought it down to me - saved money on delivery. But even if I had it delivered here and paid the extra, it would still be cheaper than 15€ for 50g

It works! Been using it for a while now and am amazed. No marks on the clothes, no smell, pits feel much better than when I was using sprays.
I prefer to use Crystal deodorant, it is a type of alternative deodorant made of natural mineral salt called potassium alum, also known as potassium aluminum sulfate. It has been shown to have antimicrobial properties. A nice plus is that the block lasts a long time. I also use it as a post-shave skin conditioner which works great.

Potassium alum has been used as a deodorant in Southeast Asia for hundreds of years. Crystal deodorant has become more popular in Western cultures in the last 30 years.

Well, I finally made it!

48.5% babassu
27% Magnesium hydroxide
12% cetyl alcohol
12% polysorbate 80
0.5% scent (lemongrass)

Has a good consistency and isn't greasy at all. Will let you know how it works out (from my side and also The Admirable Lady)
Is it solid enough to use in a tube? Or do you have to apply it with your fingers?

I've been wanting to try using fractionated coconut oil/MCT oil/caprylic acid for awhile. Looks like you use it along with a whole arsenal of odor fighting stuff, @Misschief and @lsg... my dad just smears MCT oil undiluted on his armpits instead of buying deodorants he's allergic to, so it sounds like it works 😂 (he's never considered making deodorant)

Last edited:
Back