Deodorant Help

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Still working through the thread, but a question about the type of magnesium. I can get/have oxide or chloride much more readily than hydroxide. Would they also be options to use?

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Still working through the thread, but a question about the type of magnesium. I can get/have oxide or chloride much more readily than hydroxide. Would they also be options to use?
From what I can find with a quick search, Mg Oxide mixed with water becomes Mg Hydroxide, so it seems it would probably be fine, but I am not sure if it would impact percentages used. Some folks on the web mention using Mg Chloride in DIY deodorants, but I would be concerned with absorbing additional salt through the skin. I suppose if you are not on a salt restricted diet for medical reasons it may not matter to you, but for some folks it may.
Perhaps DeeAnna has already addressed the question within the Pits thread, but I don't really recall specifically. I would be suprised if it hasn't come up before, though.

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make a deodorant from the DIY Bath & Body Shop on Etsy. Those who use it, my husband, my daughter and granddaughter, customers, love it and swear by it. One customer buys two at a time; she's told me she's tried almost every deodorant that is out on the market and she loves this one. Obviously not giving the recipe here but the recipe I use has the following ingredients (in no particular order):

OLIVEM 1000 – Olivem 1000 is made with Olive Oil being the primary source and is used in this formula as an emulsifier. It has beautiful skin feel and is also very moisturizing to the skin. Olivem 1000 all by itself is considered to be an active ingredient. If you are unable to find a source for Olivem 1000, I have also used BTMS 25 (not 50) with success. BTMS 25 is well known to leave a powdery feel on the skin. There are no other substitutes that I have tried or can recommend.

STEARIC ACID – Provides structure and heat stability

CETYL ALCOHOL – Provides emollience, structure and stability. Not to be confused with Isopropyl or Ethyl Alcohol which can be drying to the skin. Cetyl Alcohol is a fatty alcohol and is very moisturizing to the skin.

VIRGIN COCONUT OIL- (semi-solid) is the highest quality, but regular Coconut Oil 76 is just fine. It is widely believed that Coconut Oil provides mild antibacterial and antifungal properties. I have also read some studies on The National Library of Medicine that back this up. We all know about the many benefits of Coconut Oil, but it also has a very long shelf life with very little oxidation. It is not known for staining clothing. This makes it a perfect addition to a natural deodorant.

FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL (liquid) aka MCT Oil is wonderful for the skin and has a very long shelf life. It also does not stain fabric.

JOJOBA OIL – Also has a very long shelf life and is wonderful for your skin.

MIXED TOCOPHEROLS – Mixed Vitamin E Antioxidant Blend. Often referred to as Vitamin T-50 and is usually found in the Preservative or Antioxidant section of your supplier. This is a blend of three natural forms of Vitamin E and is necessary to extend and protect the shelf life of your vegetable oils from oxidation. "Normal" Vitamin E is not suitable.

ZINC RICINOLEATE - It is sourced naturally from Castor Oil and Zinc. It works by chemically trapping and absorbing odor molecules which form during bacterial decomposition of perspiration. It does not inhibit sweating and is therefore not an antiperspirant. This one of the most important ingredients in this formula. There are no suitable substitutes for this ingredient.

ARROWROOT OR TAPIOCA STARCH: Soothing and highly absorbent.

Diatomaceous Earth: MUST BE FOOD GRADE! Make sure that the label states this clearly. Diatomaceous Earth is a fine, white to off-white powder that is made from ancient, fossilized, single-cell algae called Diatoms. It’s almost pure, amphorus (non-crystalized) silica making it extremely absorbent and a perfect ingredient to help absorb odour, moisture and odour causing sweat. It’s far more gentle than baking soda and far more effective at neutralizing odors. It also has a much finer texture…almost like corn starch.

MAGNESIUM HYDROXIDE POWDER: Is the active ingredient in Milk of Magnesia and also a very effective odour neutralizer.

ZINC OXIDE POWDER - Zinc Oxide is a natural mineral white powder that is good for so many things and is very effective in combating body odor. It’s also very soothing and protective to the skin. It is pretty much the sole ingredient in Calamine Powder. Calamine Powder is 99.5% pure Zinc Oxide which has been coloured with .5% Iron Oxide to give it the pinkish colour.

PRESERVATIVE: Optiphen Plus, Euxyl PE 9010 euxyl® PE 9010 is a liquid cosmetic preservative and suitable for leave-on, rinse-off and sensitive applications. Both of these preservatives are globally approved.

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:

SEA BUCKTHORN BERRY OIL– Because of the Diatomaceous Earth and Fuller’s Earth, the finished product is a slightly beige or off-white colour. Adding .5% of this oil improves the colour a bit as well as provides amazing skin benefits. We have not found it to stain or colour fabric in this small amount.

FULLER'S EARTH POWDER for extra absorbency and soothing. Only a small amount is necessary.

ALOE VERA EXTRACT POWDER 200X – You need just a wee pinch of this.

COLLOIDAL OATMEAL – Soothing and moisturizing. Make sure to use the pharmaceutic grade of Colloidal Oatmeal. It is often sold in pharmacies under the brand name AVEENO. ™ Oat flour or finely ground oatmeal is not suitable.