Deodorant Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the crystal deo and it didn’t work for me. Not only did it leave my pits stinky, the crystal started smelling the same. 🤢
SAME HERE. I started making my own deodorant because nothing I bought worked for me. I sweat like crazy and am allergic to everything!

This is my ingredient list, but sorry I am not posting all the percentages. It took me a few years to work it all out. I will post the main two percentages.
Babassu Oil 40%
Magnesium hydroxide 30.4% (sifted into oils)
BTMS 25 do not overheat
Carnauba Wax, Sunflower Wax, Candelilla Wax, etc.
Cetyl Alcohol
Zinc Ricinoleate
Illipe Butter
Zinc Oxide (sifted) (1%)
Fragrance 0.5-1%

I left a few hints. I still have customers call me and order up to 10 tubes so they are stocked up until I get moved and start making my deo again. I do have to tweak this a bit for winter and summer.

Carolyn, you know I love your deodorant recipe better than all the others I've tried. It doesn't stain and works very well to control odor. The tube recipes that I've tried are pretty similar to yours.

The recipe I suggested above is quite different because @The Efficacious Gentleman is trying to dupe a paste recipe that his wife likes. It worked ok for me, but I dislike pastes due to having to clean my fingers after applying. But I wanted to offer that so he could get some ideas of percentages.

If TEG wanted to use your suggested ingredients in a paste-type formula, would you recommend that he leave out the wax, maybe the cetyl?
I would probably try leaving out the carnauba wax to start with. The Babassu and MH could also be upped in percentage. I find the MH softens the mix, and as we know it is part of the active ingredients along with the Zinc Ricinoleate. Side note: I found the Zinc Ricinoleate made a big difference in the performance of the deo sticks.

I did forget to mention I put the ingredient list in order if anyone wants to reverse engineer it, but I do ask please do not share it out of this forum if you figure it out. I am thinking about writing an e-book with some of my recipes when I am settled next year.

Wow i just keep it simple…60% magnesium, 38% babassu, 2% cera bellina wax. Mine does not have fragrance but if i do want to add fragrance i will just adjust the babassu. The cera bellina was at 2% works very well in my deodorant roll up stick. I never could understand why anyone would want to add all the extra ingredients. I still have to test this summer to see how well that holds up to sitting in a hot car in the sun to see if it melts.

Wow i just keep it simple…60% magnesium, 38% babassu, 2% cera bellina wax. Mine does not have fragrance but if i do want to add fragrance i will just adjust the babassu. The cera bellina was at 2% works very well in my deodorant roll up stick. I never could understand why anyone would want to add all the extra ingredients. I still have to test this summer to see how well that holds up to sitting in a hot car in the sun to see if it melts.
It took me a few years to work out what would work and hold up fairly well in a market. I found beeswax ie cera bellina became sticky and could stain hence my use of other waxes. I still had to keep my deo sticks in a cooler during the summer at markets. The BTMS25 emulsifier was used so the deo would wash off easier. Zinc Oxide helps with Odor, Zinc Ricinoleate really helps odor, a little Illipe butter helps with glide, and the Cetyl Alcohol also helps glide and helps it hold up in the tube. I hope this helps answer some of your questions about why all the ingredients. I sold a very large amount of these to both men and women fragranced and unfragranced.

It took me a few years to work out what would work and hold up fairly well in a market. I found beeswax ie cera bellina became sticky and could stain hence my use of other waxes. I still had to keep my deo sticks in a cooler during the summer at markets. The BTMS25 emulsifier was used so the deo would wash off easier. Zinc Oxide helps with Odor, Zinc Ricinoleate really helps odor, a little Illipe butter helps with glide, and the Cetyl Alcohol also helps glide and helps it hold up in the tube. I hope this helps answer some of your questions about why all the ingredients. I sold a very large amount of these to both men and women fragranced and unfragranced.
And I can testify, Carolyn’s deo is awesome. It’s all I’ve used for over a year now, and we are very happy with it.

That's the main thing is that it works for you, @Gaisy59. I personally can't stand deo that doesn't glide easily, so for me, the extra ingredients are a must. That's the beauty of DIY - we all get to decide which pieces are important to us, and to make something that fits. :)

Hello. I'm new here and so glad I found this site and THIS thread! I've been wanting to add deodorant and body powder to my line for a while now and am ready to start testing. I knew the ingredients I wanted to use but was struggling with what percentages to start with. Reading through the thread (and the various links) has helped me tremendously.

Back