Deodorant Duping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I love the deodorant I made from the giant funky pits thread (https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/de-funk-de-pits.60682/) but my plumbing has other ideas. Instead of cleaning my pipes every month I picked up a Tom’s of Maine product without wax aluminum, or baking soda that I’m enjoying. Since all things aren’t perfect, my wallet is complaining about the price. I’ve never used most of the ingredients so I’d like advice/suggestions if anyone has any. The company website (https://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/antiperspirant-deodorant/long-lasting-deodorant/unscented) clear listing of why they use each ingredient but I’m trying to start my own research on how to use actually formulate with these ingredients.

INCI ordered ingredients: propylene glycol, water, sodium sterate, aloe juice, glycerol laurate, Hops cone extract, sun flour oil, ascorbic acid, lemongrass oil

My guess is that the propylene glycol and water makes up 60% (or more) of the formula with the sterate near 20%. That’s probably the limit of my current knowledge (except that lemongrass is up 6% for leave on products if I remember right). Any advice to steer my research?

Just curious, what does the deodorant have to do with clogging pipes? Is it just the residue left on your skin being washed down the drain that is the problem? Thanks!

If you read the first post of the thread mentioned, you will see they use babassu oil, Unsaonified coconut or babassu oil might be a factor in clogging drainage pipes.

The deodorant recipe formulated in the thread is based on applying with your fingers. A few people have managed to make a stick type version but I don’t have the ingredients for that. I do my best to use sparingly or rub excess deo on my elbows/dry spots but there’s always that bit of a residue when I wash my hands. Babassu has a higher melt point than the ambient temp of my house

The deodorant recipe formulated in the thread is based on applying with your fingers. A few people have managed to make a stick type version but I don’t have the ingredients for that.
Speaking from experience here, you don't need to use the base that is suggested in the thread that BattleGnome mentions in her post. The magnesium hydroxide is the active ingredient. Create your own base and add the percentage of magnesium hydroxide that seems to work best for you.

...Unsaonified coconut or babassu oil might be a factor in clogging drainage pipes.

I agree that fat will clog sewer pipes if there is enough going down the drain. But I can't imagine the tiny bit of deo I apply once a day to my underarms can do much to clog the sewer pipes in my house. Especially considering the fat from the deo is being emulsified when I wash my clothes.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but it just seems improbable to me based on how I use deo. Maybe the OP has other circumstances I don't know about, however.

I agree that fat will clog sewer pipes if there is enough going down the drain. But I can't imagine the tiny bit of deo I apply once a day to my underarms can do much to clog the sewer pipes in my house. Especially considering the fat from the deo is being emulsified when I wash my clothes.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but it just seems improbable to me based on how I use deo. Maybe the OP has other circumstances I don't know about, however.
I have horrible plumbing and had to cut down on the superfatting of my soaps. It did help with my plumbing and calling out plumbers. But I find no difference with using and washing off my deodorant once a day. If Battlegnome is using superfatted soaps at 5 % or above, I would guess it is the soap causing the problems. Before I changed my soap formulas to 2% (average), I only call out the plumber once a year instead of 4 or 5 times per year. Huge difference the superfat made. I have an old hillside home below street level with original plumbing and not enough fall to the lines. We did re-plumb our fresh water lines to copper.

I don’t use bar soap in my bathroom sink, only liquid soap with whatever SF was recommended in the IL thread (2%? It’s been a while since I made my paste.) The last time my husband manually cleaned the pipes he described oily white globs as the main part of the blockage. The only thing that I can think of that would fit his description would be my deo (babassu, magnesium, steric acid). The shower doesn’t have the same issue so I figured it was the residue from my fingers after applying. I’ll admit that out plumbing is.... interesting is a word. I wasn’t too sure what I was doing when we installed the sink but it works, it just may not technically be legal if an actual plumber looked at it.

Back