Dental soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about if you used extracts that you'd use in cooking or baking? Like peppermint extract or what-have-you?

xylitol has been found to have dental health benefits. And since you're not swallowing it, I'd expect no negative health benefits. Honey has antibacterial properties, but can also feed the bacteria with the sugar. The sweetness of xylitol without any sugar to feed bacteria also helps by encouraging acidic saliva production to form a poor environment for bacteria thats longer lasting than just brushing.

I have to say I am always leery of things like Xylitol because isn't that one of the ones that will actually poison dogs? I prefer things like honey which is not overly processed, but that is just me.....

Yes, its toxic to dogs but it doesn't poison them in the sense most people think of 'poison'. Its a sugar alcohol, and it kills them by severe hypoglycemia. It induces release of insulin which isn't necessary since its not a real/full sugar (I'm not sure the right way to say this haha, I lean towards more technical stuff myself and I'm sure you would understand exactly what I'm saying but not all forum members so I'm going layman's terms). In humans its actually a good choice for those with diabetes or disorders with insulin resistance. Excessive use (swallowing) will have a laxative affect like other sugar alcohols though.

I get what you mean about the back of the mouth thing. I lean over kind of far over the sink when I brush my teeth so it doesn't run back there. Maybe try using a little less soap on your brush.

Eewww to the Neem! I have made Neem soap and I love it for my skin, but I couldn't stifle the gag if I put it into my mouth. :sick:

What about 85% OO, 10% Cocoa Butter and 5% Palm Kernel Oil? I wanted to have something in the soapcalc cleansing column..... I made a 6oz batch of it tonight HP and added a few drops of Peppermint EO. DH and I are going to give it a try in the morning.

Even after rebatching to add more EO, the flavor seems to just disappear :(. I've been adding a drop of diluted peppermint to my brush after loading the soap. Is there any way to keep the flavor? Should I be keeping it covered?

What about 85% OO, 10% Cocoa Butter and 5% Palm Kernel Oil? I wanted to have something in the soapcalc cleansing column..... I made a 6oz batch of it tonight HP and added a few drops of Peppermint EO. DH and I are going to give it a try in the morning.

Palm Kernel is probably going to make it taste soapy....

Lin I know what you're trying to say. Thanks for that.

Okay, I made a 4 oz batch using peppermint extract instead of eo. I used honey also instead of xylitol because it is more natural & I don't want to find out the hard way that I have an intolerance to xylitol (I have a lot of allergies). However, I did CP it, so, I'll hold off trying it for as long as I can. But, I think tomorrow I'll make the same recipe but with peppermint eo so I can compare the difference.

Id use stevia before honey, because once diluted in the soap and then your mouth the positive effects of the honey are going to be gone, but the sugar still there to feed the bacteria. Honey works best as an antimicrobial when its solid honey like packing a wound.

I used stevia powder in a lip balm I made one time & it tasted awesome except the colour made it look mouldy.

Peppermint extract is peppermint oil in a base of alcohol. The amount of flavor and scent you get will be much less than with a straight EO. I'll be curious to see how it turned out.

I wonder how stevia holds up in the presence of lye. Hmm, time to experiment.

I agree that the PKO will make your tooth soap taste more "soapy" as it's very similar chemically to coconut oil which also tastes pretty bad in CP soap.

Peppermint extract is peppermint oil in a base of alcohol. The amount of flavor and scent you get will be much less than with a straight EO. I'll be curious to see how it turned out.

Ah thanks for that judy. I was wondering what the difference in make-up was between the 2 of them. I have since made another 1lb batch, divided into 4 & added different things to each. Three I made using peppermint eo & one I added star anise eo. I cp'd the batch, so it will be a few weeks before any of them go near my mouth lol. I also used different kinds of clay in each except one I added raw cacao powder to make a chocolate mint flavour (hopefully!).

After reading about dental soap, I decided to have a go and made some. I used 85% extra virgin olive oil and 15% cocoa butter. Also added peppermint and fennel EOs. It all went well and I poured the soap into an ice-cube silicone mould (photo attached). It does not really smell like soap and you can smell the peppermint quite well. The thing now is that I am impatient to try it. Will it matter if I do not stick to the 4 week cure time (or more since there is a lot of OO)?

If you made cold procress soap do you really want lye in your mouth?

I have to wonder why you added cocoa butter. I would not use an expensive oil for this since you can't soften or moisturize teeth. For tooth purposes soap is soap is soap.

I would think the EO's would make the greater difference - such as, peppermint (fresh breath) and a small touch of tea tree (anti-fungal) would work wonders for a person who has no allergies to plants.

Incorrect. There can be lye in cold processed soap in three instances:

1. if you fail to wait until full saponification has taken place, and
2. if you made a error in calculations, and
3. if your water evaporated before the saponification process were complete. Without adequate water, the process stops.

Your 2 and 3 fall under "as long as the recipe has been formulated and followed correctly" and for number 1 if thats a problem the person needs to step back from making soap and do a little more preparation (research).

Back