Dental soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For tge 1st time since using the tooth soap, i was gagging badly and nearly throw up, oops! Guess i was craving for the usual minty taste, and all i tasted was soap :( def more peppermint and xylitol next time...

Did you use coconut oil in your soap? From what I read, this is what causes the horrible soapy taste. As I said before, mine tastes quite bland. It does not have a soapy taste at all.

Great Topic! My teeth has been very sensitive, Dentist said to buy an electric toothbrush and keep using fluoride toothpaste. Didn't help. Last night I made this:

3 tbs Coconut Oil
3 tbs baking soda
25 drops peppermint eo
1 pack stevia
2 tsp vegetable glycerin (optional)

This is not Soap! Just mix it up! Warmed the CO, and stirred the rest in. I din't use any glycerin. Kind of like play dough texture. Tastes ok, at least not nauseating, I can tell it has Baking Soda, cause of the saltiness and texture. But the Peppermint eo and stevia make it palatable. Tooth Sensitivity stopped immediately!
Roy
Source: http://www.crunchybetty.com/homemade-toothpaste-want-to-ditch-the-fluoride

from what I hear, neem is very bitter. not sure how it tastes, but I was using a natural toothpaste with neem in it, but I couldn't taste anything....

Thanks Neeners! Maybe I had better start on the low end and just use 2 or 3% and see how that goes. I can always up it in the next batch if it doesn't taste too awful.

Also, this whole idea of cavities actually regenerating confuses the hell out of me, because I always thought that enamel couldn't regenerate, and my husband insists this is fact. So how can a cavity magically heal up (for whoever it was that posted that this happened)

That was the old way of thinking. I saw my dentist a few years ago & mentioned a mark on one of my teeth. She said it was sort of like a scar from a tooth that had started to form a cavity & then healed itself. I asked her to clarify. I'd always been told that you couldn't "heal" a cavity. But, yes, you can & it is becoming more common knowledge that cavities can heal.

Great Topic! My teeth has been very sensitive, Dentist said to buy an electric toothbrush and keep using fluoride toothpaste. Didn't help. Last night I made this:

3 tbs Coconut Oil
3 tbs baking soda
25 drops peppermint eo
1 pack stevia
2 tsp vegetable glycerin (optional)

This is not Soap! Just mix it up! Warmed the CO, and stirred the rest in. I din't use any glycerin. Kind of like play dough texture. Tastes ok, at least not nauseating, I can tell it has Baking Soda, cause of the saltiness and texture. But the Peppermint eo and stevia make it palatable. Tooth Sensitivity stopped immediately!
Roy
Source: http://www.crunchybetty.com/homemade-toothpaste-want-to-ditch-the-fluoride
Xylitol would be a better choice because it has dental health benefits. Careful with xylitol around pets, its toxic to dogs.
I like this recipe: http://wellnessmama.com/2500/homemade-remineralizing-toothpaste-recipe/

For tge 1st time since using the tooth soap, i was gagging badly and nearly throw up, oops! Guess i was craving for the usual minty taste, and all i tasted was soap :( def more peppermint and xylitol next time...

Do you remember your recipe?

I made my tooth soap yesterday, 90% OO 10% cocoa butteri added xylitol, bentonite clay and peppermint eo. I zap tested it today, and its my first zappy soap. :( no lye pockets, but I think my scale did something weird (I'm thinking I need new batteries). Anyway.....must wait even longer to use. :(

How much peppermint did you use? It may be the mint that feels zappy. It can feel tingly even on the skin if used at too high a %

3%it wasn't peppermint kind of zap....it was def a battery kind of zap. Lol. I checked it an hour ago, and it wasn't as zingy, so I'm thinking its just finishing saponifying...

Hi, this is my first time posting but I feel I can actually contribute something!
My first batch of tooth soap was horrible:
Olive Oil 75%
Cocoa Butter 15%
Neem Oil 10%

I added added peppermint at 1 ppo because I wanted it to have a strong flavor, added 2 T xylitol and 2 t green clay for remineralizing.

Well, the neem made it so disgusting I almost threw up. The smell of neem doesn't bother me, but omg the taste mixed with peppermint was so gross.

Batch #2
I left out the neem completely, didn't even want to think about ever putting that stuff in my mouth ever again :)
Olive Oil 85%
Cocoa Butter 15%
I don't remember exactly how much xylitol or clay I added this time, but I think I cut the amounts in half, so ~1 T xylitol and ~1 t clay. I also used much less EO.
I divided the batch into thirds, added peppermint to one, sweet orange to another and left the last plain. For some reason the xylitol started separating from the soap and turned into a gloppy gellyish mass and stirring was just making it worse. I was soaping at room temp so it wasn't getting too hot or gelling. Just as an experiment I stuck the soap into the microwave for a few seconds and it melted the goo and totally incorporated back into the soap.
I only let them cure for about 3 days before trying (yeah, I'm impatient!). There was no soapy taste at all, but unfortunately not much of the EO came through either. It cleaned my teeth amazingly well. The only down side was that it makes the back of my mouth feel weird...you know how the back of your mouth waters really bad before you throw up? Well in that spot it almost feels acidic...really hard to describe. It doesn't bother me enough to stop using it and it goes away once I rinse. I hope this will diminish as the soap ages.
I did end up rebatching the peppermint to add more EO. I grated it, added a tiny splash of water and stuck it in the microwave. I mixed in more peppermint, probably 1 teaspoon (ish) and it's much better (even my 6 year old used it and liked it!). Going to rebatch the orange today and add in more orange and maybe some clove or cinnamon.

Overall I'm very happy with this recipe, I only made .25 lb and it's going to last forever!

Good job on coming up with a recipe you like. My only caution is to be careful how much EO you add as it can be toxic at higher levels.

3%it wasn't peppermint kind of zap....it was def a battery kind of zap. Lol. I checked it an hour ago, and it wasn't as zingy, so I'm thinking its just finishing saponifying...

It is not the peppermint, and I agree with Lindy, look up amounts for each EO for usage in soap. I think Lindy and LSG can link to specific EO amounts? Maybe I am volunteering people for things I mis-remember. I hope not.

Let the soap cure, you just made it yesterday right?

I never touch my soap with bare hands to cut in day or a week, I use gloves, (nor would I try it near more sensitive parts like my gums) for a minimum of 4 weeks. I like to go 6 weeks given my particular skin. That is just me though. However, if you made it yesterday, you shouldn't try it yet, just my thoughts.

Let it cure, then see.

I added added peppermint at 1 ppo because I wanted it to have a strong flavor, added 2 T xylitol and 2 t green clay for remineralizing.

Well, the neem made it so disgusting I almost threw up. The smell of neem doesn't bother me, but omg the taste mixed with peppermint was so gross.

Just as an experiment I stuck the soap into the microwave for a few seconds and it melted the goo and totally incorporated back into the soap.

Thanks for your post kaiiquen! There was lots of info there I can use, such as adding green clay and the microwaving and thanks for the warning about how Neem tastes. On second thought, I think I'd better skip putting any of it in altogether. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I just made it! I'm still nervous to try it, but I get to cut it tonight! Hopefully, once it's done curing, I'll be able to muster up the courage to put soap in my mouth. *cringe*

I couldn't wait, so I tried it today at 12 days since making (zapped tested it a few days ago, and no zap). surprisingly, it didn't taste like soap. I didn't gag, and my teeth feel really clean. it foamed up like those natural toothpastes. I put enough mint to have just a hint of mint, and I didn't taste the xylitol at all. I know it's only one use so far, but i'm really impressed with it already.

next batch I may put a little more xylitol in, and definitely use cinnamon leaf EO with the peppermint, but that won't be for like 3 years when I've used this batch up (and I only made 1 lb). lol

thank you OP for starting the thread and inspiring me to make dental soap!

thanks for the words of wisdom Judy! we just bought a toothpaste that has cinnamon leaf in it, and it tastes so good! like, a nice version of Big Red gum.

how would one apply this soap - on a toothbrush? If so, shouldn't the soap be as soft as possible? So in other words eliminate the Cocoa Butter altogether?

i rub my moistened toothbrush on the soap to create lather. you wouldn't want it too soft or else the soap would just melt into nothing (i wanted a soap, not a gummy paste....). cocoa butter apparently helps prevent tooth decay by preventing bacteria and plague from adhering to your teeth. hope that helps...

What about mixing ceylon cinnamon (or regular cinnamon if its not a concern) into the soap instead of cinnamon leaf eo? cinnamon powder is frequently an ingredient in tooth powders and natural toothpastes. I'd think it would taste particularly nice in HP after the cook... If you could mix it in well enough? I like cinnamon over mint so I'm thinking I'll use cinnamon powder and xylitol after the cook whenever I can eventually try this out.

Latest posts

Back