Dental soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
After reading about dental soap, I decided to have a go and made some. I used 85% extra virgin olive oil and 15% cocoa butter. Also added peppermint and fennel EOs. It all went well and I poured the soap into an ice-cube silicone mould (photo attached). It does not really smell like soap and you can smell the peppermint quite well. The thing now is that I am impatient to try it. Will it matter if I do not stick to the 4 week cure time (or more since there is a lot of OO)?

dental soap.jpg

I tried mine right away! But mine went through a full hot gel (I used cinnamon leaf!) If yours is ungelled, I'd wait at least a few days.

It's not the greatest taste sensation in the world but it sure works well.

In that case, I think I'll give it a week! I assume that shortening the cure time cannot harm me.:???: I hope not.

Tooth soap -- yep, it works. Just don't use coconut oil in your recipe -- it doesn't taste very good as soap for teeth. Go for lots of creamy lather, not so much bubbly and that will be good too.

A poster in another recent thread (was it Obsidian?? can't remember -- sorry!) talked about adding sweeteners (stevia, sorbitol, etc.) to tooth soap to make the taste nicer -- that's certainly something to consider if you make tooth soap. I didn't find just mint EO to be enough added flavor for my preference. It wasn't bad, just bland.

I still think regular toothpaste is still the best. Sometimes the chemists do know what they are doing... I have had 50k worth of dental work with a lot of surgery to go with it and I think it best to follow what my dentist suggests! Which is toothpaste and a rinse, once in awhile, with diluted peroxide. Ask you dentist, teeth are very expensive to replace and gum surgery is miserable

We use our regular charcoal soap for tooth soap. It works very well, doesn't have much of any flavor, not over sudsy and leaves our mouths feeling clean and healthy.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I've been making and selling tooth soap for a few years now and it is quite successful. To keep my teeth white I add baking soda to my brush a couple of times a week.

I've always had to use Sensidyne because I have super sensitive teeth, not anymore and not within a week of changing over. Here is the theory behind it.

Regular toothpaste leaves a coating behind which does not allow your teeth to "breathe" so to speak. They can't absorb minerals and calcium from your food because they are coated so you end up with pin holes that cause sensitivity as well as allowing plaque & scaling to occur as it has something to grab on to. When you use tooth soap you teeth are left without anything coating them which allows them to breathe, to absorb minerals like they are meant to as well as to give less for plaque and scaling to grab hold of.

The human body is an amazing thing and will heal itself when given half a chance. A pharmacist here in town was telling me about a dentist friend who relayed the following story to him.

I had a patient with a small cavity so we booked an appointment for her to come in for me to fill it. Since it was so small and not causing any problems we booked it about a month out. When she came back the cavity was gone! Totally disappeared! I asked her what she had done to get this to occur and she told me that she hadn't done anything unusual. So I asked her what she brushed her teeth with. She told me she was using tooth soap from a local soapmaker and she loved how her teeth felt. I can't say the tooth soap is the reason, but I've never seen anything like this happen before so I might look into this. Do you know who is making it?

Of course the pharmacist did and referred him to me. He now uses it himself. My own dentist is amazed because I don't need my teeth cleaned, no plaque and scaling and no cavities either. It works for me and for my customers, your mileage may vary.

I also find that tooth soap leaves my teeth much cleaner with much less plaque and buildup - like I just came from a professional dental cleaning.

I find it difficult to tolerate whatever foaming agent is in commercial toothpaste. It makes me gag.

I add xylitol to my tooth soap which is supposed to be good for your teeth as well as adding a bit of sweetness.

90% OO, 10% cocoa butter.

I also find that tooth soap leaves my teeth much cleaner with much less plaque and buildup - like I just came from a professional dental cleaning.

I find it difficult to tolerate whatever foaming agent is in commercial toothpaste. It makes me gag.

I add xylitol to my tooth soap which is supposed to be good for your teeth as well as adding a bit of sweetness.

90% OO, 10% cocoa butter.

Do you superfat?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I'm going to try this. Without any sweetener at all, I imagine it's "soapy" tasting and I have visions of my mother washing my mouth out with soap. :Kitten Love:

So, I want to try a tiny batch (one bar, say) and use 90% OO and 10% cocoa butter. A tiny bit of peppermint and/or cinnamon EOs? Would that work to give it a bit of aroma and perhaps flavor? And how much would be a good amount to use? I have no idea here!

I really want to do this, as we've been buying natural toothpastes, but even those have ingredients I don't want to use. I'd love any help or tips on this!

I've used 100% OO soap sliver for brushing now for about 2 months (used Pink Grapefruit EO) and I don't get a soapy taste. In fact there isn't much of a taste at all to me.
On the other hand, high CO soaps taste terrible to me when doing the zap test. So I'm pretty sure (and have read elsewhere this is the case) that it's the CO that gives the bad taste we all remember from our childhood. :eek:

Update

I have been using this soap for a least a month now and I am used to it. In fact, it does not taste of soap at all. It is a fairly bland taste and I don't think it needs any sweetener. I got used to it very easily.

Latest posts

Back