Dendritic Salt ....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traceyann

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having a bit of a problem sourcing dendritic salt here in Australia...I have found one supplier that sells it.....

However during the course of researching it I have come to find that it's chemical name is Sodium Chloride....this is also what common table salt is !

My question is will common salt do the same thing in my bath salts and bombs that Dendritic salt does ? or is it different because of the process they put it through making it a star shape with more surface area?

any one know .

I've read dendritic salt holds scent better and longer because of its larger surface area. Other than that, I believe it's the same as regular salt. You don't have to use a lot - 5%-10%. I'd mix the FO in with the dendritic salt and then add this to the rest of the salt.

Thanks Hazel, Its quite hard to get here , and somewhere I read that the natrasorb is just as good (also easier to get ) ...might have to get some and do a comparison

You're welcome. I used to use some dendtritic salt in bath fizzies. Then I realized I never had them very long and the people I gave them to used them in a short period of time. So I stopped using it.

I've never used natrasorb but I've read posts where people have said cornstarch helps to anchor EOs and trishwosere said she uses it to help anchor citrus FOs. I would think that natrasorb would work but I don't know for sure.

Good luck! Please let me know how it works. :D

Go you guys sparked my curiosity and I had to look it up because I couldn't remember where I saw this. I found on AskJeeves this answer:
Dendritic salt is a form of ordinary table salt that has star crystals instead of the normal cubes.
This is why it has a larger surface to grab up the fragrances and eo's we use.

http://www.sfbsc.com/storeCart I've found they will offer free shipping on this occasionally but their shipping is very reasonable and they'll match BB's price if you ask. With the price match plus low shipping they beat BB easily for overall cost. Sfbsc's salts come in heavy duty poly bags with zip tops and the zip actually works!

I don't order this from BB due to the prohibitive shipping cost.

Hazel said:
I've read dendritic salt holds scent better and longer because of its larger surface area. Other than that, I believe it's the same as regular salt. You don't have to use a lot - 5%-10%. I'd mix the FO in with the dendritic salt and then add this to the rest of the salt.

this is exactly what i do.

Latest posts

Back