Deliberately seizing soap for layered design

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennfromoz

Reaction score
I had an idea and was wondering if anyone does this. I'm thinking of trying a simple layered sunset design, similar to the attached photo. I was thinking of separating the traced soap into 4, colouring them, and one by one, adding the fragrance which I know will seize the soap and quickly adding it into the long mould so I can shape it a bit and so that it can support another layer. I will then do the same with the other layers. Of course I would have to work quickly.
Is this something that's done?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-185542_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-185542_Chrome.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 41
I've done smth like it. I did a 3 layer soap with an accelerating FO. You do want to work very quick between layers. If waited for too long and traced too fast, the layer can seperate, which happened to be because i got a delivery in the middle of soaping. I had to do a little welding afterwards but if you work fast enough it should be just fine.

I wouldn't use a fragrance that actually seizes, but I've done layers with a rose FO that accelerates fast, but still gives you a few seconds of pourable medium trace after mixing, before it gets to thick trace.

I had an idea and was wondering if anyone does this. I'm thinking of trying a simple layered sunset design, similar to the attached photo. I was thinking of separating the traced soap into 4, colouring them, and one by one, adding the fragrance which I know will seize the soap and quickly adding it into the long mould so I can shape it a bit and so that it can support another layer. I will then do the same with the other layers. Of course I would have to work quickly.
Is this something that's done?
Definitely can be done - the degree of difficulty depends on just how extreme the seizing is and exactly the volume of batter you want to move (it's harder to evenly spread a larger volume of batter that's fighting against being spread) - but it's a known technique for using accelerating FO.
I ended up with basically that outcome in my challenge non-entry soap just this week. If I hadn't attempted to swirl I would have ended up with similar rolling curves to the picture you posted.

I wouldn't use an FO that causes "seizing" because then it is unusable. You can either 1) use an FO that accelerates (but doesn't seize) or you can simply stick blend to a medium trace, pour, wait about 10-15 minutes and then make the next layer and use the flat part of your spatula to break the fall of the next layer. It's what I do.

Echoing what TheGecko said, I don't think you want your layers to seize, otherwise you won't be able to pour them into the mold to create a straight line between layers. What i have found that works is to separate the colors, add EO (or FO) to the bottom layer only and then stick blend to medium trace, get it in the mold and let it sit until it has set up a little. Then add EO to the next layer, stick blend to medium trace and pour it in the mold and let it sit until it sets up. Repeat with as many layers as you have. You definitely want to wait for those layers to set up and become somewhat firm before you pour the next layer.

Should of added that if I want absolute perfect layers...I mix as normal, which is emulsion, and pour and then set the mold aide and do something else until it sets up to pour the next layer.

Well this is the result. OK for a first attempt. I made the moon earlier using a couple of toilet rolls cut and made smaller.
Seizing the layers one by one and working quickly helped me to shape it, especially the black layer which I shaped like a mountain.
I think I'll practice a bit more.

Attachments

• 20211101_001532.jpg
    20211101_001532.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211101_001539.jpg
    20211101_001539.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 39
Well this is the result. OK for a first attempt. I made the moon earlier using a couple of toilet rolls cut and made smaller.
Seizing the layers one by one and working quickly helped me to shape it, especially the black layer which I shaped like a mountain.
I think I'll practice a bit more.
Impressive results!

Latest posts

Back