Dehydrator for HP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
I know you can't use an dehydrator to speed the cure of CP soap, but what about HP? If saponification is finished and all we're trying to do is dry it out, why not? I do have temperature control of the dehydrator so I could avoid melting the soap.

I've got three bars of HP soap that I made on a whim last night with the Pumpkin Souffle sample from Brambleberry that graced my most recent delivery. It would be nice if they were useable during "Pumpkin Season."

This may be a moot point, anyway, because I'm not sure the bars will fit onto the dehydrator tray. I'm still curious, though.

You seem confident that HP soap is different than CP soap, even after the first 24 hours. I'm not sure I agree, but I'd like to hear your perspective. Explain, please?

You seem confident that HP soap is different than CP soap, even after the first 24 hours. I'm not sure I agree, but I'd like to hear your perspective. Explain, please?

I would not say confident at all. It would not surprise me at all to find that I am mistaken, given the signal to noise ratio of information on the net. If you tell me I'm wrong, I won't argue.

My understanding, though, was that HP was safe to use after a day or two, unlike CP. Not cured, not long-lasting, not its best, only safe. IF that is true, my thought was that this tiny batch with its very seasonal scent could be useful in a week or two - before the pumpkin season ended. Since the soap only cost me about a dollar in ingredients and was primarily made to practice my HP techniques and sample the scent, I am also not concerned with getting maximum life from the bars.

With that in mind, just brainstorming, I wondered if the dehydrator could be usefuluseful.

This is not an uncommon question. It gets asked about every 3 months or so. Usually about CP, though, is why I had to try it myself a couple of years ago. But, unfortunately, the result is the same, no matter how thick the slices of soap are, BTW. Even 1/4" slices will warp with a very low temperature dehydrator.

"...My understanding, though, was that HP was safe to use after a day or two, unlike CP. Not cured, not long-lasting, not its best, only safe...."

My CP soap is as safe after a day or two as any HP soap I've made. I just got done making 5 batches of soap with various recipes and all 5 were zap free and skin safe at 12 hours.

If you want to debate about skin safety of HP and CP soaps within the first 12 hours, then I would agree that a properly made HP is going to be skin safe quicker than a properly made CP. But most likely after the first 12 hours -- and certainly after the first 24 hours -- they're pretty much the same. They are both "safe to use, but not at their best" until they cure out.

Last edited:
Aye, the cure time for cp and hp is nothing to do with safety. When you unmould cp is it totally possible to have a soap that is safe to use, in that it doesn't zap.

If the fruit of the spirit includes mildness, peacefulness and self control, then the fruit of the cure is mildness, bubbliness and longevity

Just like beer is safe to drink when you keg or bottle it, but improves a lot over time - same for soap, you don't want to rush the cure :)

Latest posts

Back