Dehumidifier or no?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diynewbie

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I made a batch of soap on yesterday and poured it in the mold around 6p. I unmolded it today about 30 mins ago (around 8:15p) and noticed that it’s still a bit soft at the bottom but pretty solid near the top. I think I poured at light trace so that could be the issue or it could be the fragrance oil…Lavender and Spring Apricot from Natures Fragrance. It’s my first time using it so really not sure if it’s the fragrance oil or me pouring at light trace or a combination of both. But anyway, I placed a dehumidifier near the soap since I’ve already unmolded it. Will this help harden it up a bit quicker?

Yes, but also it might cause issues.

Yes, because it cause airflow on your soaps which is very helpful when curing.

It might cause issues in that you never want soap to dry out too much too quickly - people experimented with dehydration (using the machines you'd use for food) and the soaps ended up warping and or cracking because they didn't dry naturally. But unless your dehumidifier is a very powerful one I don't think it would be so strong so as to get the humidity down to a point where the soaps warp.

My dehumidifier has an option of just being a fan - I would use that option (or just an actual fan, if I had one) instead of the dehumidifier action unless the room is at 80%+ or something

Hey everyone! I made a batch of soap on yesterday and poured it in the mold around 6p. I unmolded it today about 30 mins ago (around 8:15p) and noticed that it’s still a bit soft at the bottom but pretty solid near the top. I think I poured at light trace so that could be the issue or it could be the fragrance oil…Lavender and Spring Apricot from Natures Fragrance. It’s my first time using it so really not sure if it’s the fragrance oil or me pouring at light trace or a combination of both. But anyway, I placed a dehumidifier near the soap since I’ve already unmolded it. Will this help harden it up a bit quicker?
Might also be your recipe/ingredients that's caused it to be soft. Just let it sit a bit longer, no need to use a dehumidifier, though as others have said a regular fan won't hurt.

I've found that soaps made with a particular batch of lard (which I think I've finally used up, hurrah) need to stay in the mould for at least 3-4 days, and even then the loaves are often a bit soft in the corners so need another day or so to air before cutting.

Even with the brand of lard I *usually* use, the loaf needs a couple of days in the mould when I make my high lard recipe.

What is your lye concentration? If you are using 38% water as percent of oils, that can be way too much water, depending on the size of your batch. Try selecting “lye concentration” instead, and start at 33% as a fairly middle of the road setting. It will firm up even faster at 35% or even 38%, but it may not be as fluid, which is a consideration if you are making a complicated design.

Last edited:
I had my soaps curing in the closet with no issues, then I decided to put a bag of damp-rid in there for sng. The soaps that were curing on the shelf directly above the damp rid got all dry and crumbly, while the others from the same batch were fine.

Maybe a machine from the other side of the room might be fine to rid the whole room of moisture, I dunno. But placing the damp rid bag on the clothes pole under the soap shelf definitely ruined a few.

I have my production set up in our basement in a dedicated space. I also live in Ohio. I run a dehumidifier after I cut my soap because our basement is concrete block walls and can be damp. I have never had crumbly soap from running the dehumidifier. I run the dehumidifier more in the summer because we do not have central air conditioning and the humidity is just YUCK!

Latest posts

Back