Deer tallow soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaldwin

Reaction score
I am working on a deer tallow soap recipe. I would like some opinions on this one.

30% deer
30% CO
25% RBO
10% SAO
5% Castor

I get this from soap calc

Hardness 44
Cleansing 21
Conditioning 48
Bubbly 25
Creamy 28
Iodine 54
INS 159

Lauric 14
Myristic 6
Palmitic 15
Stearic 9
Ricinoleic 5
Oleic 29
Linoleic 14
Linolenic 1

7% super fat and 35% water

Would you test this as is, or make some changes. I don't have a lot of deer tallow, maybe 750G worth. my friend has not gotten a deer yet this season.

I also have OO, but I want to avoid that in my soap, it tends to make me break out more, Avocado Oil, cocoa butter, macadamia butter, and shea butter.
I am placing an order for some lotion making supplies, so I can order different oils if need. I want to avoid real exotic or expensive oils though, I would rather save them for a leave on product. I am pretty sure I am getting some soy oil.

This soap is for personal use, and I will be giving some to the person I get the deer fat from.

Thanks,
Michael

I have never soaped with deer tallow. Sooo jealous - my mom hunts, but she has never gotten a fat deer! That recipe looks fine to me. Do you want a small amount of soap with a lot of deer tallow in it, or do you want to stretch your tallow and make more soap with a small amount of deer tallow? It's just a matter of preference. If you want to stretch the deer tallow, you could replace some of it with lard.

I, personally, would not use the soy. IMO, it's a filler oil that does nothing but add bulk to your soap. (Nothing wrong with that - if I am making all-veggie soap, I will use some soy b/c I am having to use more expensive oils like olive and cocoa butter in place of the lard I prefer, which is very cheap.) If I am lucky enough to ever get deer tallow, I would want all of the oils in the soap to be good oils.

30% is a fairly high percentage of coconut oil. Do you usually use that high? I know some people use that and love it, and some people find that much to be too harsh on their skin. If you have not used the CO at that high of a percentage before, I would drop it back to the percentage you usually use. My personal choice would be to use 20% coconut, 6% or 7% castor and maybe a little cocoa butter.

I would also get some kind of individual mold so I could have 1 bar that was unscented, just so I could see if I could smell a difference between that and other soaps.

Thanks for the feedback.30% CO is fine with me, but now that I think about it, the guy I will be giving some to is in his 60s and has dry parchment thin skin, so that might be to much CO. I'll drop it back to 20%.
We get pretty fat deer here in NE. This was not even all the fat from one deer. I wanted to try it before having them worry about saving more.

Good idea bout the plain bar. I hope not much deer sent comes through though. It was pretty smelly while rendering it, but after I strained it and cooked it some more and strained it again the sent seemed to be dissipating quite a bit. Either that, or I was starting to get use to it.

Here is what I ran through soap calc now.

30% RBO
27% deer
20% CO
10% SAO
8% castor
5% cocoa butter

Hardness 40
Cleansing 14
Conditioning 54
Bubbly 21
Creamy 33
Iodine 62
INS 143

Lauric 10
Myristic 4
Palmitic 16
Stearic 10
Ricinoleic 7
Oleic 32
Linoleic 15
Linolenic 1

if I keep the deer at about 27% I figured I can do 6 pounds of soap. I kind of want to have deer be the largest amount of ingredient though. If I left the 5% shea I could do the RBO at 25%, but that is just getting into too many ingredients for me. I'll come up with 3 different 2 pound recipes to try, and see how it goes.

Still open to other suggestions though.

Thanks,
Michael

I would personally drop the CO to 22-25% with a 7-8% superfat. I would also add either shea or Cocoa butter to it at 5-10 percent. I also don't use soy in my recipes.

Latest posts

Back