Decorating soap tops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appalasia

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i see some beautiful soap top designs and i was wondering how some of these are made. Especially the ones with glitter. Is the glitter mica? Also the flower tops, are these put on when the soap bar is hot or once its cooled? Can i make the soap flowers in advance? Thanks for all your help!!!

Do you have any photos of the glittery ones? I swirled a gold mica on the top of a soap, but not sure that’s what you mean. You can buy pre-made soap embeds that can be stuck into or on top of your still-soft soap. I’ve seen everything from pineapples to hearts. And there are people who pipe gorgeous soap batter flowers on top of their soap like frosting.

You can buy soap safe glitter from a soap supplier and sprinkle it on the top of your soap. You can make flowers ahead of time using a mould and then just press them on the top of the soap or pipe on flowers when you make the soap.

I use glitter and mica for different effects on top of the soap.

Glitter I just sprinkle on. It gives the bar some sparkle and pizzaz without being overly defined. Mica, I mix with a little oil and drizzle over, which leaves these pretty and defined lines of sparkle.

I also make things to put on top of the soap - haven't done flowers yet, but maybe someday! I make those in a separate batch, before making the soap loaf, and press them in once my soap in the mold is still very soft but will hold weight.

I sprinkle the tops with mica or glitter....love glitter. I don't put decorations or piping on top as I personally don't like it and it's too fussy for me. I've also done a mica line in the middle of my soap. I like playing with colors. Once in awhile I'll put an embed or two inside the soap. I do put 1 decoration (MP soap) on top of my cupcake soaps but I only make a few batches a year for 2 of my shows where they sell well.

I use a combination of all of the above. For instance, the first one is decorated with soap & body safe glitter; the second one is mica in glycerin; the third one is with embeds. I haven't done any with piping the soap (like cake frosting) but that's on my Try list.
20180825_111519_HDR.jpg 20181006_094858_HDR.jpg 20190106_141358_HDR.jpg

I've also used some of the newer cake decorating items, like coloured or metallic sugar sprinkles. They wash off pretty quickly and melt in water.

I would say that 99% of almost all of my soap tops have biodegradable skin safe glitter on them. I have spray pumps that you can get just about anywhere these days, and spray the tops with the glitter.

I also put M&P embeds on almost every soap I make as well.
The tops of my soaps have to have ... something... on them. Otherwise they are just dull... (IMO - I've seen gorgeous soaps with nothing at all on the tops, I just can't do it)

I use a combination of all of the above. For instance, the first one is decorated with soap & body safe glitter; the second one is mica in glycerin; the third one is with embeds. I haven't done any with piping the soap (like cake frosting) but that's on my Try list.
View attachment 36238 View attachment 36239 View attachment 36240

I've also used some of the newer cake decorating items, like coloured or metallic sugar sprinkles. They wash off pretty quickly and melt in water.

Those r beautiful! Where do u buy body safe glitter? And the metallic sugar sprinkles...those are really for cakes? So i could get them at the grocery store or bulk barn?

How did you make those beautiful flowers in the last pic? Is that a mould?

Those r beautiful! Where do u buy body safe glitter? And the metallic sugar sprinkles...those are really for cakes? So i could get them at the grocery store or bulk barn?

As a matter of fact, I do get most of my sprinkles at Bulk Barn. They've got a great selection.

As for body safe glitter, I order mine from Voyageur or Candora.

Latest posts

Back