Decorated cake-rather proud

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
Backstory: So, my friends and I get together to play tabletop RPGs every Sunday (Dungeons and Dragons being the best-known of this game style). For those who don't know, these games are basically collaborative storytelling, and use dice and other things to tell us if something we want to do is successful or not.

My group has a rotation games that we play. Sometimes they're really short stories, some are basically miniseries, and some are long-runners.

Well, this past weekend we ended one of our longest long-runners, that we had named "Enter the Sneak". To celebrate, our host/player of The World made us dinner, and I baked & decorated a cake.

I'm also rather proud of how the cake came out, considering I've only decorated a handful of cakes, had no training, and was working with a buttercream frosting that was really a little bit too soft for the piped edges. :D (I also need to get a 21 tip. Why that wasn't included in my Case 'o Tips, I'll never know.)

There were other challenges--I work weekends, so I had to split the creation over two days. I also didn't realize how little yield the buttercream recipe was and so had to quickly double it, but it meant I had to get frozen butter to thaw and soften as quickly as the butter I had put in the fridge to thaw the night before. This left me with very little time to actually decorate before rushing off to game...

D7A24473-38C4-4EC9-8DB1-1B8A2C4BB36A_zpsphqdf0ju.jpg

Last edited:
Very nicely done. You should be proud. I decorated cakes for about 5-6 years and I didn't have any training either, kind of learn as you go. Made a great side job though....then I met my husband with 2 kids of his own and it had to go to the wayside. Almost 19 years now. I haven't decorated a cake in probably that long even for family.

Good job! That looks so yummy, I wish I could have a piece!

Oh my goodness- I also wish I could have your pull-out counter thingie! I remember our house having one when I was growing up, and I sure wish I had one in the house I live in now. It would come in real handy because our counter-space is very limited. I oftentimes have to drag out the card-table when I soap or when I'm making pies and other baked goodies.

IrishLass :)

Very nicely done. You should be proud. I decorated cakes for about 5-6 years and I didn't have any training either, kind of learn as you go. Made a great side job though....then I met my husband with 2 kids of his own and it had to go to the wayside. Almost 19 years now. I haven't decorated a cake in probably that long even for family.

Thanks! Yeah, decorated cakes do take a lot more work! Growing up it was just using a butter knife and store frosting, then slap some sprinkles on and call it good. lol (Though we did love those birthday cakes!)

Good job! That looks so yummy, I wish I could have a piece!

Oh my goodness- I also wish I could have your pull-out counter thingie! I remember our house having one when I was growing up, and I sure wish I had one in the house I live in now. It would come in real handy because our counter-space is very limited. I oftentimes have to drag out the card-table when I soap or when I'm making pies and other baked goodies.

It was very yummy! Both recipes came from Cook's Country-- the Chocolate Sheet Cake and Easy Chocolate Buttercream.

I love the pull-out too! (We always called it the bread board. No idea if that's the right term...) Part of it is that I'm short, and so it's much closer to the correct height for cutting for me. lol (Even then it's still slightly too tall.)

It was very yummy! Both recipes came from Cook's Country-- the Chocolate Sheet Cake and Easy Chocolate Buttercream.

You can never go wrong with a Cook's Country or America's Test Kitchen recipe., I always say They are so well-thought out and tested that they make me look like a master chef when I make one of them. lol I've never had a dud when using their recipes. :thumbup:

I love the pull-out too! (We always called it the bread board. No idea if that's the right term...) Part of it is that I'm short, and so it's much closer to the correct height for cutting for me. lol (Even then it's still slightly too tall.)

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one that feels like a little kid in the kitchen (size-wise). lol I have a little wooden chair that converts into a stool that a friend made for my son when he was little, and it has become my constant companion in the kitchen, because the counters are too high for me to get any proper leverage when mixing or kneading or cutting things on them.

Last edited:
I have heard some not-so-flattering rumors (and there have been "jokes" on the show that make me pause and go "that's not actually funny"), but every one of their recipes I've tried has been solid.

In the kitchen we have a little plastic stool (about 6") that lets me reach most things... and then tucked in between the side of the fridge and the wall is a two-step ladder for when the stool isn't enough.

On the other hand, I live with my dad who is plenty tall enough to reach nearly everything up high (6'3"), but he has trouble getting down to reach the drawers and cabinets near the floor... lol

That cake looks so yummy! I bet that buttercream frosting just made it taste so good! Also, very nice job with the frosting. I like the edges of the cake a lot.

Your comment about your dad reminded me of the fact that my BF and I actually had to fight about where the pots and pans would go in our apartment because he wanted them on a shelf higher up and I wanted them in the cabinets on the floor. We *compromised* and settled for the cabinets on the floor. :wink:

Great looking cake! I do miss playing RPG s, though.

My house (that I moved into in June when I got married), has counters that are not at a comfortable working height for me, either. They are just too high. I use my kitchen table for almost everything now, kneading, chopping, soaping, grating, etc. I mounted a power strip on the wall behind it to give me easier access. The kitchen suits my 6'4" husband well, though, so there is no hope, whatsoever, of doing anything about it.

That cake looks awesome! Congrats to you for your decorations. Your artistic abilities are far superior to mine. :clap::clap: After reading some of your posts about the counter tops, I don't feel so short anymore. My counters are hipbone high, just perfect as far as I'm concerned. However, my bathroom vanity is only thigh high. Doing anything in there is a pain in the back. I'm only 5'5" so I wonder who they were thinking of in the bathroom. Weird.

Latest posts

Back